LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

rimasu
|
Hello.
I’m really confused with the concept, ‘Opposite’.
I don’t understand the differences between ‘opposite’ and ‘mistaken negation’, ‘mistaken reversal’.
Could you explain that?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Rimasu,

Thanks for the question. The concepts you mention are entirely different, and thus comparing them isn't helpful. It's like you've asked us to compare the color black to an apple; it's not really related in a useful sense. But, this question (and your others) highlights some of the issues you've run into here, namely that some of the foundational ideas aren't clear to you yet.

Let's start with the idea of opposition, and not worry about Mistaken Reversals or Negations yet. I define opposites in the book and use a number of examples. But, what would you say an opposite is? How would you define it, and can you provide any examples? I ask because if we can see what you think it is, we can work from there to solidify what you know or expand it.

Thanks!
 rimasu
|
Wow! Thanks for your advice.

I looked through this book again, and found out one the parts about 'opposite' I had learned.
In p 96 left sidebar, "Logical opposites break the topic under discussion into two parts", for example, the opposites of "must be true" should be "could be not necessarily the case" or "never the case".

So from this perspective, in p222 (c), "exclusively confidence" or "exclusively skepticism" could be opposites of "confidence balanced with a small amount of consumer skepticism"
Is that correct?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi rimasu,

I'm glad to see you're really digging in on mastering opposites! When thinking about logical opposites, you want to make sure that every single possibility is accounted for by the two opposites. In the example you gave, where you were thinking of "exclusively confidence" and "confidence balanced with a small amount of consumer skepticism" as being logical opposites, you should ask yourself whether there are any possibilities not accounted for by those two. As it turns out, there are: we could have half confidence and half skepticism, or mostly skepticism and a small amount of confidence. if there are possibilities outside of the two phrasings you've identified, then they aren't logical opposites. Logical opposites cover all possibilities. So, the logical opposite of "exclusively confidence" is "not exclusively confidence" (whereas the polar opposite would be "exclusively skepticism").

Does that help?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
And, to go back to my original question, I want to hear what you think "opposite" means, if possible. I do talk elsewhere in the book about opposites in detail, and I think you may have missed that, but regardless, the question that will most help you is to ask yourself what the meaning of the idea actually is. From there we can see what we need to add or change :-D
 rimasu
|
Thanks David and Emily!
It was a big help.
And I'm searching for something I missed regarding 'opposites'.
I'll let you know my progress. :)
Thanks again!

Dave Killoran wrote:And, to go back to my original question, I want to hear what you think "opposite" means, if possible. I do talk elsewhere in the book about opposites in detail, and I think you may have missed that, but regardless, the question that will most help you is to ask yourself what the meaning of the idea actually is. From there we can see what we need to add or change :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.