LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

bobbyj
|
Page 184 speaks of "The Only". On page 185 we are given a rule that "only" is modifying, because that will be the necessary condition. Shouldn't it be "The Only" is modifying? Or can only by itself modify?

Finally, "THE Only" appears similar to The Unless Equation EXCEPT it identifies the sufficient condition, the remaining term is not negated; and, it becomes the necessary condition.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bobby,

I'm not following your question 100%, so please let me make some general comments about that problem that might help. If it doesn't help, please let me know.

The statement in question on that page is:

..... "The only way to become rich is to work hard."

There are two ways to look at this (as shown by the italics below), but both result in the same diagram. They are:

• 1. "The only way to become rich is to work hard."

In this example, "only" works as a classic necessary condition indicator. Here, only modifies "way," and "way" refers to working hard. thus, "working hard" is necessary and the diagram is: Rich :arrow: work hard

2. "The only way to become rich is to work hard."

Here, we focus on "the only," which can be seen as a sufficient condition indicator. It is directly proximate to "rich" which becomes the sufficient condition. The remainder—"work hard"—becomes the necessary condition, and the diagram is: Rich :arrow: work hard

Really, these are two different ways of interpreting the same relationship, which is why the outcome is the same. the reason I mention both is in order to make it as easy as possible for you to use the approach that works the best for you.

As my colleague Nikki says: It's imperative to make a distinction between "the only," "only," and "only if." The last two directly precede a necessary condition, whereas "the only" directly precedes a sufficient condition. Technically, they are all necessary condition indicators because in the case of "the only," the actual referent is elsewhere in the sentence. But it's sometimes easier to think of it as a sufficient indicator for the reasons mentioned above.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 Chantal
|
Hi! Sorry to bring back an old post, but I've been struggling with understanding sufficient and necessary conditions when "the only" is used.

Let's say the sentence is: Raw celery is the only food I won't eat (or "The only food I won't eat is raw celery").

Are the follow diagrams correct?:

Won't eat :arrow: Raw celery
Contrapositive: Not raw celery :arrow: Eat

Thanks in advance!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Chantal,

Thanks for the question! What I would say is to use either method above--they both give you the same diagram as yours :-D

For me, I prefer method #1, and in your example, that means "only" modifies "food," which refers to "raw celery." thus, "raw celery" is the necessary. That leaves "won't eat" as the sufficient." But either method works.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.