LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Imcuffy
|
I am having a problem accurately drawing out the conditional statements with the word "and." I understand the concept and how to do it but when I put it into practice, I am not sure when to use the and factor. IE.

Page 245 Q. #1:

"It is a principle of economics that a nation can experience economic growth only when consumer confidence is balanced with a small amount of consumer skepticism."

I diagramed the statement as such:

Growth ----> CCB & CS (consumer skepticism)

and of course the contrapositive would change and to or with everything being reversed and negated. (Did not know how to show that on the computer)

However when I look at the answer key, you diagramed CCB = consumer confidence balanced with a small amount of consumer skepticism (without separating the 2 conditions.)

That is what confuses me. I do not know when to separate the two conditions as you did not above. I had the same issue on page 212 Q4.

" The axis of Earth's daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane of its orbit at an angle of roughly 23 degrees. That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth's large, nearby Moon. Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt, a planet's climate is too extreme and unstable to support life. Mars, for example, has only very small moons, tilts at wildly fluctuating angles, and cannot support life. "

My diagram:

AS-----> GI

-PCE & US-----> AS

Chain: -PCE & US------>AS-----> GI

In your diagraming you coupled "planet's climate too extreme and unstable to support life" all as one statement where I and adding the "and" term in it.

How do I know when to differentiate adding or not adding "and?"
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Imcuffy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:56 pm How do I know when to differentiate adding or not adding "and?"
Good news here: it doesn't matter as long as you understand what it means. If using the "and" makes it easier to understand for you, then do it. If not, make it all one condition!

The above aside, to me each statement can so easily be represented as one "state" that I simply went with it that way. For example, "consumer confidence is balanced with a small amount of consumer skepticism" suggests a single type of mental statement--something like 90% confident if we were to use a percentage to describe it. Similarly, "planet’s climate too extreme and unstable to support life" suggest a state where the extremity of the climate is just too much for anything.

Again though, the symbology doesn't need to match mine; they just need to make sense to you :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.