LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lizk89
|
Okay, I think I've overstudied today because English words and sentences have ceased to make sense to me. I'm certain I should close my book and revisit in the morning but I've got a nagging feeling.

Take Q. 1 on page 90 of the Must Be True problem set. The stimulus regards laws, their primary function and the role of morality. Although I did get the correct answer, when I went back to review I realized that the stimulus made no sense to me.

My understanding of the stimulus:

Some argue that the role of law serves, at least in part, to help establish a moral fabric. BUT (here, the author disagrees), the primary function of law is actually to help order society so that institutions, citizenry and organizations function harmoniously. That is, irrespective of moral aims.

That makes sense. But then the final sentence reads, "Indeed, the highest courts have on occasion treated moral beliefs based on conscience or religious faith as grounds for making exceptions in the application of laws."

Why would the author provide an example of the courts giving credence to moral beliefs when the author's main claim is that the law's primary function is something other than that (achieve harmony)?

I'm confuzzled. :oops:
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's a tough one, but simplified, the author is saying the following:

Some say the law is there to establish a particular moral order.
But it's really there to make sure that everyone can work together harmoniously.
In fact, sometimes courts will make specific exceptions to make sure that they're not stepping on someone else's toes, undercutting someone else's moral code.

Let me know whether this makes sense--thanks!

~Steve
 lizk89
|
Makes good sense to me now!
Thanks for the clarification!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
No problem--now get some sleep! and good luck tomorrow!

~Steve
 lizk89
|
Fortunately, I'm writing in October.
So, you LSAT gurus are stuck with me until then! ;)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.