LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

jenmd_
|
I had a question about the LSAT Logic Reasoning Bible. Wouldn't "might be" be the same as "probably"? Page 73 Chapter 2.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question, jenmd_! "Might be" is an expression of possibility, and that includes only minute possibility that is well below the threshhold for probability. I might win the lottery, but the odds are overwhelmingly against it. Reese Witherspoon might ask me out to dinner, but my wife and I aren't banking on it happening (which is why my wife says if it happens, it's okay if I leave her for Reese). If something might happen, then there is a great-than-zero-percent chance of it occurring, but it need not be much.

"Probably" means there is a greater than 50% chance of something occurring, and that is a lot stronger and more extreme of a statement than that something "might be" true. The sun is probably going to rise tomorrow. Southern California is probably going to have more large earthquakes in my lifetime. I am probably never going to have dinner with Reese Witherspoon.

Might just means could. Probably means more likely than not. That's about it!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.