LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

yongjook
|
Hi,
I am having trouble understanding exactly how grouping/linear combination games are different from individual linear or grouping games.

I do understand that chapter 6 discloses to attack grouping then linearity. But when I solved the drills and example questions, I didn't do anything different from when I solved questions from linear games and grouping games from chapter 3-5, respectively.

For example, Pg.297 contains grouping game #1 from October 1996.
In this game, the rules are in linear and grouping and the questions also ask in terms of linearity and grouping.

Hmm as I am writing this question out, i see where i was wrong.
Linear is for order and grouping is simply for grouping without order.
In chapter 6, there are questions containing rules that have order and without order and the chapter is recommending to solve the grouping first. It seems like I am doing it simultaneously so didn't realize the difference.

Is this the correct way of analyzing chapter 6?
It would be awesome if you reorganize my understanding of the chapters.
Thank you!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Yongjook,

Thanks for the question! Yes, you basically have the right idea there at the end of your post.

LSAT games often include rules or setup elements that are pulled from a variety of different game types (Example: many Linear games contain Sequencing-style rules). In the Logic Games Bible, what we do in the early parts of the book is isolate each game type. Why? Because by isolating each element, you can focus just on learning that concept, and master it more easily. As you correctly note, Linearity is about order and lining things up in a specific order. Grouping doesn't worry about order, but instead focuses on putting things in workable groups.

When you get to Grouping/Linear combination game chapter, these games include both concepts in large doses. The fact that you are naturally recognizing that and handling it simultaneously is awesome, and a great sign for your ability to do extremely well in the LG section. The reason I made a point of discussing this game type in its own section is that there's a specific strategy for approaching these games. Most students just wander into these games and attack the element they feel most comfortable with (which is usually Linearity), but as I discuss in that chapter, before you order items (Linearity) you first have to know which items you have to order (which is Grouping).

So, it sounds to me like as you are in hood shape here. As you explained what you were looking at, you correctly analyzed it, so great job there!

Please let me know if that helps, or if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.