LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

leslie7
|
Hi

p. 413, Q. 5, Ed., 2020

For context, even before reading the explanation of the negation /M__P->/M (I did get the contrapositive correct but I wasn't sure what it meant).

Now reading the explanation I'm still not entirely understanding it.

In regards to the negation, the explanation says that if P is neither 4/5 then M must be unranked but isn't it possible for P to be in 4/5 and for M to be unranked? ( I might be confusing something here) .

but on that same note if P is ranked first is it not possible for P to come before M? Since we know what happens when M is triggered but not when P is triggered?

I think these pieces of info are convoluting my understanding of the explanation.. there are other pieces I'm not getting as well but I think if this is clarified it might help me to understand everything fully!

Thanks so much
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
leslie7 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:30 am In regards to the negation, the explanation says that if P is neither 4/5 then M must be unranked but isn't it possible for P to be in 4/5 and for M to be unranked? ( I might be confusing something here) .
Yes, that is possible! M is the sufficient condition, and so if the sufficient doesn't happen, P is free do do whatever it wants :)

leslie7 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:30 ambut on that same note if P is ranked first is it not possible for P to come before M? Since we know what happens when M is triggered but not when P is triggered?
If P is first, then M will not be able to be in the top5 and must instead be unranked. This is because there's be no room for the M __ __ P block.

But, P can certainly go first; M just wouldn't be able to be ranked when that happens.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.