LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

jmrosenthal84
|
I'm only on the second chapter and already need a little help. What is a random, as described in the glossary as, "A variable in a logic game that does not appear in any rules"? That just sounds like an inference. And I don't understand the placement of the asterisk in the example diagram on page 15. Is it meant to show that the variables are written in random order in the diagram? Thanks.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question, jm! Let me see if I can clarify. A "random" variable, in our parlance (some others might call it a "floater" or something else) is a variable that wasn't mentioned in the rules. That's not an inference, which would be an unwritten rule.

For example, let's say my game has 6 variables, LMNPRS, being placed in order 1st through 6th. My rules are:

L is before M
N and P are consecutive, not necessarily in that order
S is either 3rd or else 5th

An inference, something that must be true even though the rules don't explicitly say so, is that L is not last. For the same reason, another inference is that M isn't first.

My rules mention LMNP and S. What about R? R has no rules, and that means R is a "random" variable. We put an asterisk under R just to remind us that he's there. He's like Bashful, the dwarf we always forget because he is so quiet. R can go anywhere, with anything.

I hope that clears things up for you! Good luck on your continued studies, and feel free to return for more help as needed.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.