LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

freddythepup
|
Hi,

Can you please explain more in depth number 4 in this drill set? I'm not sure how you can make an inference that there will be 4 cages? Thanks.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Freddy, if you are talking about the drill with the 7 animals being placed into cages, you cannot infer that there are only 4 cages! Our answer key shows that as a possibility (a 3-2-1-1 or 2-2-2-1 distribution), but it also shows another possibility with only 3 cages (a 3-2-2 distribution, which obeys all the rules).

We can't do it in more than 4 cages, because we would have to break a rule there (more than 2 cages with just 1 animal in them), and we cannot do it in fewer than 3 cages because we would have to break at least one other rule (max 3 per cage). So, the distributions here only allow for either 3 or 4 cages, but we cannot be sure which it is. In a real game scenario, that would probably mean setting up three templates based around those three distributions!

I hope that clarifies it for you!
 ncg293
|
Hi,

Can you please explain why there are max 3 animals per cage? I understood the rule "At most one of the cages contains three animals," to mean that no more than one cage can contain three animals. I used the same interpretation for the rule "At most two of the cages contain one animal each." With this interpretation, I identified 2-5 and 2-4-1 as possible numerical distributions in addition to those listed in the answer key. I would understand the max 3 interpretation if the rule stated something along the lines of "A cage can contain at most three animals." I'd greatly appreciate any clarification. Thanks.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ncg,

The first part of the drill states: "Seven Animals are placed into cages containing anywhere from one to three animals..."

I think that should clarify. If not, let us know!

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.