LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 mandrewg
|
Hi Team,

I am trying to wrap my head around answer B. "If a speaker possesses a concept for which the speaker's language lacks an expression, then that suggests that the concept was not created by language."

Is this referring to the Brazilian peoples' lack of exact numerical valuation when stating a particular number, and because of the lack of expression for stating exact numbers, the concept was not created by language itself...but rather...something else? I'm trying to figure out what that "something else" would be. As well as how this was a principle stated in Passage B and not A.

Thanks in advance!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mandrewg!

The support for answer choice (B) comes from this sentence: "In showing that subjects with no verbal counting system have a concept of approximate numerical magnitude comparable to that of numerate subjects, these reports support a non-Whorfian, language-independent view of the origins of our concept of number."

The Pirahã and Mundurukú do not have a verbal counting system yet they have some concept of numeracy. The author says that supports a language-independent view of the origins of our concept of number. Thus, since they have a numerical concept but do not have words to express those concepts, that suggests that the concept of number was not created by language. The author doesn't state the "something else" that would have created the concept so we don't need the answer choice to specify that. The author just says that it would not be language, which matches the answer choice.

Passage A makes no mention of concepts that groups or cultures may have independently of language to express those concepts. Thus, the principle in answer choice (B) is not underlying the argument in passage A.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 mkarimi73
|
Could we have an explanation in regards to the other incorrect answer choices? I recognize that the official explanation is still in progress, which is fine. No need to answer this post if a fuller explanation is being posted soon!

(My only question is this: We can eliminate A, C, D, and E because they aren't even triggered conditionals, correct?)
 goingslow
|
Bumping this thread! I'd greatly appreciate an explanation of how (D) fits with passage B. The sufficient condition seems triggered, but what about the necessary condition?

Many thanks!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Happy to address the questions!

Mkarimi73, you write:

We can eliminate A, C, D, and E because they aren't even triggered conditionals, correct?
The question stem asks us to identify something that is present in one of the passages but not the other. For answer choices on this type of question, it can be helpful to put an "A" and "B" next to each answer choice, or each answer choice that remains a contender after skimming them. We're specifically asked about something present in B, but not in A.

From that perspective, there can be a variety of reasons why an answer choice fails, which is to say these answer choices aren't triggered conditionals if I understand what you mean correctly. An answer choice might mention material not present in B at all, or it might mention material in A but not in B, or material in B that is also in A, or material that is in neither passage. All of these variations would be incorrect.

Goingslow, you ask:

I'd greatly appreciate an explanation of how (D) fits with passage B. The sufficient condition seems triggered, but what about the necessary condition?
Answer choice (D) states, "If a concept can be expressed more exactly in one language than in another language, then it is likely that the concept was created by those languages." I understand your mentioning the sufficient condition being triggered to mean that we can find the first half of this sentence, treated as a statement, within Passage B. For example, Passage B discusses how different languages may be related to different abilities in numerical reasoning.

However, I don't see Passage B additionally making a claim that its example of differences in numerical reasoning is meant to imply that "the concept was created by those languages." Rather, on this front the author leaves open a few possibilities, proffered at the end of the passage: "Thus, the reports suggest that learning number words either creates a concept of exact numerical equality (a strong Whorfian hypothesis), or mediates the expansion of such a concept (a weaker Whorfian hypothesis), or directs attention to such a concept (a non-Whorfian hypothesis)" (lines 58-63).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.