LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

This question is about the author's perspective and gives a specific reference to the last sentence of the passage, which uses a phrase that may be unfamiliar to younger students or those for whom English is not their language. "Ill behooves" us is a somewhat old-fashioned way of saying "we should not do this" or "doing this would reflect poorly on us." Couple that with "forsake," another word that may be on some people's challenging vocabulary list (def: abandon or ignore), and this last sentence can be troubling. Put in simpler terms, the last sentence is saying "those of us who love these early films should pay attention to what the early presenters of these films did, rather than ignore their wisdom."

Armed with that understanding of the meaning of the sentence, we now need to explain why the author said that. As a prephrase, we might say that the author's intention was to give some advice about how to properly present early films.

Answer choice (A): The purpose was not to question anyone's sincerity, but to give advise about how to proceed.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. More confusing word choice makes this correct answer a little hard to understand. "Carry an implication" just means "imply something." The purpose was to imply, or suggest, something about how early films should be shown. They should be shown the way early film presenters showed them - we should pay attention to their choices rather than ignore them. Once we decipher the meaning of this answer, it matches our prephrase.

Answer choice (C): Nothing about the last sentence traces anything about the basis for early film presenters making the choices they made. That was discussed early in the passage, but this was not the function of the last sentence.

Answer choice (D): The final sentence has nothing to do with which films to acquire, but only with how to show them.

Answer choice (E): The sentence in question does not challenge any notions and is not about our understanding of these films, but only suggests that we should follow the guidance of early presenters in how we present them today.
 nilo
|
Hi,

Why is B correct here? I interpreted the last sentence to say that it is a bad idea for those of "us" who say we are early film lovers to disregard the magic of programming that early film presenters discovered. That to me didn't appear to carry an implication with it. I chose A but I didn't like that one either I just really couldn't see an implication in that sentence.

thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question, Nilo, and we have now added a full explanation above in this thread. The implication is that we should do what the early presenters did rather than ignore them. If it would be bad for us to disregard those early presenters, the implication is that we should instead do what they did!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.