LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 180bound
|
Can someone help me with this one? Now that I see B is the correct answer I’m
Having trouble finding support for it in the passage.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The entire second paragraph is your best support here, 180bound. There, the author argues against "collecting the similar" because it is not authentic. The passage goes on to argue for showing these films as part of a more authentic program that might include "dramas and comedies to travelogues and news." Thus, the author would reject the claim that "dissimilar works of art should never be displayed together" because they embrace the exact opposite approach.
 esb1244@gmail.com
|
Hi -

On review I understand why B is the correct answer. I chose E initially. I was hoping someone might be able to explain more fully why E is incorrect?
 Beatrice Brown
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ESB! Happy to help you out with why answer choice (E) is incorrect :)

The correct answer choice will explain something that the author would disagree with based on the passage. However, the author would not necessarily disagree with answer choice (E).

In the first paragraph of the passage, the author explains how sometimes painting exhibitions are chosen based on the artist who created the paintings exhibited (such as an exhibit of only paintings by Rembrandt). However, the author does not comment on whether or not he disagrees with this approach for displaying paintings—all we know from the passage is that the author believes that we should not curate a display of early, nonfiction films based on the creator or studio behind the film (which he explains in the second paragraph).

Because we only know that the author disagrees with this method of "collecting the similar" in the context of early, nonfiction films, we do not know that the author would deny that art exhibitions should sometimes use this method. From the information given in the passage, for example, it is possible that the author believes that painting exhibitions should be based around one particular artist. Since we do not know whether the author thinks there are situations in which collecting works all by the same artist for an exhibition is appropriate, we cannot know whether the author would definitely disagree with the principle stated in answer choice (E).

On the other hand, answer choice (B) describes a principle that the author would definitely disagree with, since the approach advocated for in the second paragraph is the exact opposite of this principle.

I hope this helps!
 gooodshiit
|
Can someone explain why A is incorrect?

In the passage author states that authenticity can sometimes go out of window. Doesn't that mean that author would reject A?

Why is B a better choice than A?
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello,

For this question, I believe you either misread the question stem or the context in which the phrase you mention ("authenticity can sometimes go out the window") was used in the passage. The question is asking us which of the below principles would the author not agree with; thus we are looking for some answer choice is either explicitly rejected by the author in the passage or presents an idea with which the author has given indication he/she would disagree.

Now, in terms of answer choice B, the very nature of its expression (the rigid rule it expresses, "one should never group the artwork together") make it a prime candidate for being the correct answer choice in this context. Given that this question is a Cannot Be True question, the same rules (rules against selecting answer choices with exaggerated answers or extreme modifiers) apply here as they do for Must Be True questions. Additionally, the author specifically rejects this rule in the sentence that commences on line 18, stating that "collecting the similar" should be apply in most cases of screening early film. Consequently, we have direct evidence from the text itself to support our intuition that B is the obvious correct answer.

However, in defense of choice A, one might look to the portion of the passage you quoted on line 42, as demonstrating that the author would additionally reject this notion. A fair reading of the paragraph as a whole indicates that such is clearly not the case. I will leave it as an exercise for you to notice the stark shift in tone in that final portion of the passage as well as the subject of the sentence which concludes it.

Let me know if you have further questions.
 gooodshiit
|
Hi atierney,

Thank you for your thoughtful response! I reread the last paragraph and it would be great if you could see if I now have a better understanding of the last paragraph:

The author seems to like the approach of film archives and retrospective festivals: focusing on the production side, which likes authenticity. On the other hand, author doesn't really like when people only focus on the exhibition side (on this side, authenticity can sometimes go out of window).

Also, I wonder if you have any advice on reading for author's attitudes? For example, before reading your response, I read the word "however" and knew there was a tone shift. However, I thought author dislike authenticity. Now after reading for your response, I realized that in fact author is saying that exhibition should care about context and authenticity. I guess I just didn't quite get author's real attitude toward authenticity. How can I improve my ability of finding the author's attitude toward something? I think sometimes I just have a very hard time getting into the author's head.

Again, really appreciate your helpful comments!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi good,

There are different methods for tracking tone and perspective in RC. Personally, I like to track shifts in tone by underlining the word that starts the shift, and shifts in viewpoint via notes on my scratch paper.

The key aspects of this paragraph is that the line "authenticity is sometimes allowed to go out the window" is not the author telling us what SHOULD happen, but instead telling us what DOES happen. He's describing what occurs, not telling us his ideal for what should happen with film exhibition. Arguably, the rest of the paragraph is where we see the author's perspective, using terms like "ill behooves us" which we can understand to mean "we should not."

All of the author's "should" and judgement language in this paragraph point to the author thinking that the authenticity is important to a film's presentation. We have language in the last paragraph to suggest that films are often presented not authentically, but not that they should be presented not authentically.

Hope that helps!
 clbrogesr
|
Hi - one of the elements of this question that threw me off (and regularly throws me off on questions with a similar theme) is the prevalence of negative language. We are asked which the author would disagree with. The correct answer choice presents itself with two negatives - "dissimilar" and "should never." Answer choices like D continue to use "never."

My current strategies for tackling that kind of language are 1) carving out a little extra time during the PT/exam to work through that language and 2) trying to find questions like it to get comfortable decipering negative language. Any other tips or tricks for working through questions with so many negative "disagrees" and "never"s?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.