LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Weaken, CE. The correct answer choice is (C).

This is a Weaken question. Like with all Weaken questions, we want to identify the premises and conclusion, identify the gap, Pre-Phrase an answer that will exacerbate the gap, and then find the answer choice that best matches our Pre-Phrase.

Here, our conclusion and premise are as follows:

Premise: Soon after WW2, air-conditioned houses with low ceilings and thin walls sold well.
Conclusion: Therefore increased availability of air-conditioning was the cause of residential architectural changes after WW2.

One of the most common types of "gaps" in Logical Reasoning arguments is a reliance upon Cause and Effect reasoning. Cause and Effect reasoning is inherently suspect, because to say that one event is the end-all-be-all cause of a second event is always an oversimplification. The conclusion of our argument here uses Cause and Effect reasoning to say that air conditioning caused the architectural changes.

As the LSAT Course Books / PowerScore Bibles go over, the 5 ways to weaken Cause and Effect reasoning are: show an alternate cause (e.g. the state of the economy was responsible for the architectural changes), show that the cause occurred but the effect did not (e.g. air conditioned houses with pre-war architecture of tall ceilings and thick walls also sold well), show that the effect still occurred without the cause (e..g low ceilings and thin walled homes sold well even without air conditioning), show that the cause and effect are reversed (e.g. the architectural changes of lower ceilings and thin walled homes forced more Americans to seek out and demand air conditioning), or attack the data. Our Pre-Phrase is to look for any answer choice that employs one of those methods.

Answer Choice (A): If anything, this strengthens the argument. High ceilings and thick walls protect against the weather, and it was only the ability to somewhat control the weather via air conditioning that brought a movement away from them.

Answer Choice (B): Out of scope, the costliness of heating lower ceiling, thinner walled homes has nothing to do with whether air conditioning caused those changes.

Answer Choice (C): This is the correct answer. It weakens the Cause and Effect reasoning by showing that the cause did not occur but the effect still did. Despite no air conditioning, people still loved their low ceilings and thin walls.

Answer Choice (D): This might be a tempting answer for some because it seems to attack the connection between thin walls and air-conditioning. However, the conclusion of the stimulus isn't that thin walls are great for air-conditioned homes; the conclusion is that air-conditioning allowed for a shift towards thinner walls and lower ceilings. Just because thinner walls are worse than thick walls at holding in cool air, that still doesn't weaken the cause and effect relationship between air conditioning being the historical impetus for that shift. So this is incorrect.

Answer Choice (E): Out of scope, the existence of new technology doesn't on its face account for any architectural changes and so doesn't present a valid alternate cause.
 vbkehs
|
I misunderstood the conclusion (thought it was the second sentence) and chose E. Is C correct because it shows that the cause wasn't present (availability/affordability of air conditioning) but the effect (changes in architecture being low ceilings/thick walls) still took place?
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi vbkehs! You are exactly correct - Answer Choice (C) weakens the reasoning by showing that the cause wasn't present but the effect still took place.

Please also refer to the full explanation I posted above, and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Hope that helps!
 whitefox20
|
Hi,

could someone please explain more clearly why E is wrong? I understand why C is correct, but when doing the question, I thought that thermal insulation could be an alternate cause, since in reality it is used to keep cool and warm air in. Is the problem that there would need to be too many assumptions for this to work? I read on some other explanations, that for an alternate cause to be reasonable, it should be linked to the effect in the answer choice. However, upon looking through other similar questions it does not seem to be the case that the link is always clearly there. I would be really thankful if someone could please elaborate.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I feel the same about answer E, whitefox20! It seemed to me an attractive choice on first read because it could be an alternate cause for those houses selling well, and it sounded a lot like my prephrase. But the problem with the answer is that it doesn't really weaken the claim that the availability of air conditioning was the main cause of the changes in architecture. Perhaps the insulation was an effect of those architectural changes, rather than a cause? Was it applied in all houses, or just those with thin walls and low ceilings? Answer E doesn't connect that insulation change to architectural changes because it doesn't tell us what came first, the insulation or some changes.

Ultimately I selected answer C not because answer E was bad, but because C was much, much better, and we are supposed to select the best answer and not just one that could work. Answer C tells us that there really was no such change in architecture, so there was no effect after the alleged cause was introduced.
 whitefox20
|
Thank you, Adam. That makes sense! It really could be the effect, not the cause.
 LSAT4Life
|
I got this question right but didn't necessarily see the conclusion as a stating a causal relationship. Is phrase "attributable mainly" strong enough to imply a causal relationship?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes LSAT4life, attributable to is another way of saying caused by. If A is attributable to B, we are saying that A is caused by B. One way to think about it is to think about the relationship. Is the stimulus saying that the explanation for the house sales is the air conditioning? Yes. An explanation is another way to think about causal relationships.

Hope that helps!
 LSAT4Life
|
Thank you! This is very helpful!
 leejihyesarah
|
Holy crap, I totally missed this question because I didn't catch that lacking high ceilings and thick walls = low ceilings and thin walls.... :hmm:

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.