LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Except, Point at Issue. The correct answer choice is (C).

The question stem asks us to find the answer choice that describes something McKee and Chapman DON'T disagree about. This means the answer choice will either be something that the stimulus suggests they agree about, OR something about which the passage has done nothing to suggest that the two disagree. (Knowing the LSAC, the latter is probably more likely because it's more difficult to identify).

It is difficult to Pre-Phrase an exact answer to this question, since the correct answer choice could be almost anything. For example, "the sky is blue" would be a correct answer. Instead, to attack this problem, we want to be clear about what the stimulus suggests McKee and Chapman DO disagree about. That way we can attack the incorrect answer choices. So we are sort of "Pre-Phrasing" what the wrong answers will be, if that makes sense. We Pre-Phrase the wrong answers as follows:

The stimulus suggests that the two disagree about whether venues should allow heckling. They disagree about whether heckling is a part of the performance, or merely a distraction from it. It also seems to suggest that they disagree about whether heckling is fun for just the heckler, or whether other people (including the stand-up performer) are on board.

As an aside, the two agree about very little; the only thing they seem to agree about is that heckling is a long-standing tradition of stand-up comedy. So unless that is one of the answer choices, we're going to be looking for something that the passage doesn't really mention, or at least doesn't suggest they disagree about. With that, we move on to the answer choices.

Answer choice (A): As we Pre-Phrased, the passage suggests that the two disagree about whether comedy venues should allow heckling. McKee explicitly states his opinion in the last sentence of his statement; Chapman doesn't explicitly say that venues should ban it but her statement strongly suggests that this is her belief.

Answer choice (B): Chapman explicitly states that heckling is a distraction from the performance, this suggests she does not think it is a part of the performance. McKee, in his second sentence, seems to indicate he believes it is a part of the performance. Thus there is significant support in the passage that the two disagree about this.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. McKee discusses this in his second sentence, although he never really mentions anything about the "best" performers. Chapman, on the other hand, never says anything that suggests she has an opinion regarding whether the best performers learn to respond to heckling. Therefore the stimulus does not provide us with anything to say that the two disagree about this.

Answer choice (D): This is probably the most tempting incorrect answer choice. Chapman seems to explicitly disagree with the statement in (D), with the second sentence of her argument. On the other hand, there isn't a whole lot in McKee's statement that expressly indicates support for the statement in (D). The piece of McKee's statement that most suggests this is the word "entertainingly", which seems to imply that it is fun for the audience to watch performers respond to heckling. That, along with the overall thrust of McKee's argument, provide some support for the idea that McKee would likely agree with the statement in (D). That's enough to make it a worse choice than (C).

Answer choice (E): Both McKee and Chapman agree that heckling is a long-standing tradition of stand-up comedy. However, McKee specifically states that heckling should not be banned. Chapman's statements, as discussed in the explanation for (A), seem to suggest on the other hand that heckling should be banned. Thus the stimulus suggests McKee agrees with the statement in (E) while Chapman disagrees with it.
 mallie
|
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could help take apart this question.

First off: this is a Point of Issue X question. To be totally clear, that means that the correct answer will either be something that we know the authors agree about or something that we know they don't disagree on (aka, possibly something that we don't know one or both of their views on?). I haven't seen many questions like this, but that would be my guess because that would make the question harder and that is what the LSAT authors like to do.

Moving on to argument breakdown:
McKee
C: comedy venues should not try to prevent heckling
P1: Heckling is a long standing tradition
P2: Performers know this and respond in an entertaining way

Chapman (I am not 100% confident on this one)
C: Heckling is a distraction from the performance
P1:It is only a tradition because it is tolerated
P2: It is usually only fun for the heckler

Because I wasn't sure if the answer would be an agree or an unknown, I struggled to prephrase this. Looking at it now, I would probably still avoid a prephrase because I think the answer choice possibilities are wide open and I don't want to waste time thinking about all of the possibilities.

A - M agrees and we can infer that C disagrees from their statement that heckling is a distraction and from the fact that it is only enjoyed by the heckler. This answer is out.
B-We know that M agrees with this, and I think we can infer that C would disagree with this because of their statement that the heckling is a distraction from the overall performance. This implies that the heckling and responses are separate from the performance. This answer is out.
C-This one is weird. We dont know from M's statements that they think the best comedians are able to respond in an entertaining way. Same goes for C - all we can gather from C is that heckling is a distraction, but tolerated (and even then, we don't know if it's tolerated by comedians and they're being good sports, or if C is talking about the comedy clubs who allow heckling).
D- We could infer M would agree since they say that comedians respond entertainingly and C would disagree on the grounds that it is enjoyable almost exclusively for the heckler themselves. Out.
E- M would agree, and we could infer C would disagree because they describe heckling as a distraction. Out.

So, based off of these analyses (and again, please let me know if the inferences I made are reasonable) I would pick C. I initially picked D because I was running slower than normal and panicked. But I sensed that this one was going to suck up more of my time because of the stimulus.

Thanks in advance for your help!
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mallie! Nice job writing out an explanation for this one. I went ahead and wrote out an explanation above, making sure to address most of your points along the way. Let me know if you have any more questions. Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.