LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning, CE. The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 hope
|
I chose answer choice E. I think I need help in properly identifying the conclusion which I thought was the last sentence. Is this correct? If so, I don't see how D applies to this conclusion. What "part of a change" is D referring to? And what other parts need to be ruled out? Thanks.
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Hope,

Hopefully this will be of some assistance. So, the last sentence is the conclusion as you suggested, and the idea here is that he stopped eating bread and meat in the same, but then also switched his entire diet. So he did something in addition to just cutting out bread and meat; thus we don't know how much of a factor, if any, the cutting out the bread and meat was as opposed to switching diets. This is why D is the correct answer. And, in terms of answer choice E, the answer choice is factually incorrect. Brian did make the change. And his conclusion rests on his results, not purely what he read.

Let me know if you have further questions on this.
 hope
|
I'm still not completely clear on the language of D. Is it that the "one part of a change" was cutting out bread and meat which was responsible for the effect of being unhealthy? If so, what is the "other parts of that change which were responsible?" In other words, what specifically did the stimulus fail to rule out? Thanks.
 evelineliu
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Hope,

One part of Brian's change is no longer eating bread and meat in the same meal. Another part of his change was switching to a diet of lean meats, fruits, and vegetables. Essentially, he is saying that his lower cholesterol and blood pressure is because he stopped eating bread and meat in the same meal. In actuality, it could be that the switching to a diet of lean meats, fruits, and vegetables (the "other" part of this change) could have caused the improved cholesterol and blood pressure.

Hope that helps,
Eveline
 hope
|
evelineliu wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm Hi Hope,

One part of Brian's change is no longer eating bread and meat in the same meal. Another part of his change was switching to a diet of lean meats, fruits, and vegetables. Essentially, he is saying that his lower cholesterol and blood pressure is because he stopped eating bread and meat in the same meal. In actuality, it could be that the switching to a diet of lean meats, fruits, and vegetables (the "other" part of this change) could have caused the improved cholesterol and blood pressure.

Hope that helps,
Eveline

It does help Eveline. Thank you so much for the clarity. This one was actually really simple. I just didn't understand the language of the answer.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.