LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below! Thank you!
 bigboyroeroe123
|
Hi PowerScore,

I wonder why (A) is the correct answer?

What's the basis for making comparisons between the effectiveness of detecting the bacteria of the traditional method and the new method?

Thank you!
 bigboyroeroe123
|
Oh I just figured out that the author is making comparison between the traditional method at seasonal peaks and the traditional method not at seasonal peaks...

I thought he is making comparison between the traditional method at seasonal peaks and the new method at seasonal peaks...

I wonder am I the only one who made this mistake?
 MountainGirl234
|
Double checking my thinking here:

Is C correct because it would be possible to collect VC bacterium via traditional methods since it's likely that seasonal peaks awaken VC from dormancy? And that idea relates back to the idea that traditional cultured methods cannot be entirely reliable because those methods cannot detect dormant VC? But in this specific instance, it would be strongly supported that VC would be detectable if it's believed that seasonal peaks awaken the bacterium, making it more detectable?
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello,

Answer choice A is the correct answer here, and this is for the reasons you stated in your explanation. I think you meant to say A instead of C, but otherwise, yes A is correct, for the reasons stated, and also correct as opposed to answer choice C because there is no explicit reference to answer choice on my reading of the passage. Thus, you select the answer choice that has more textual support from the passage itself.
 Henry Z
|
I chose (B) because of the last sentence. Is (B) wrong for "decrease", as it could also be "increase"? As we only know there's a correlation but don't know for sure if it's a positive or negative correlation?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Correct, Henry! The passage suggests that changes in salinity may have something to do with waking up V. Cholerae, but we don't know which direction of change might have that effect. We do know, however, that warmer water temperatures seem to correlate positively with cholera outbreaks.
 ashpine17
|
I don't understand why we can't conclude that this bacterium needs human hosts to spread. I understand that the passage states that the bacterium doesn't need human hosts to survive, but what about spreading? she studied a group of people who ate crabs during an outbreak; doesn't the outbreak imply the bacteria needs humans to spread?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ashpine17,

I don't see how any of that proves that it needs human hosts in order to spread. I think you're confusing the fact that it spread among human hosts for a claim that it needs human hosts to spread. Nothing about a single scenario is going to prove that something is necessary. It's the same thing in Logic Games - a minidiagram showing that a variable can be in a certain position definitely doesn't prove it's always in that position.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.