LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below! Thank you!
 MountainGirl234
|
Hello!

I'm having trouble distinguishing between A and D. I approached this with a "resolve" mindset. I thought that because Colwell's new test helped identify instances of V. cholera bact. then that would help explain why traditional detection methods would compute different results if that particular method didn't rely on the use of florescent lighting?

I see how A can also be true, that VC cannot always grow in a petri dish, since the cultured techniques reported fewer instances of VC in the same samples

But what makes E incorrect?

My brain is starting to spin in circles, and I think I'm overanalyzing this question...
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Mountain,

I think you're asking only why answer choice (E) is wrong (let me know if I'm wrong). The fluorescing is part of Colwell's method of detecting cholera, but I have no idea if it is or isn't part of the petri dish culturing method, and, whether it is or isn't, it doesn't explain why Colwell's method works better. The petri dish method doesn't always grow cholera because, as the last paragraph states, dormant cholera is viable but not culturable. So a petri dish, which grows cultures, will not show growth. But Colwell's test doesn't really require cholera itself to "do" anything - cholera that's alive but won't grow, because it's dormant, will still have the antibody latch onto it.

Answer choice (E) explains why Colwell's method will work but not why petri dishes won't work in the same circumstances, so it does not resolve the paradox.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.