LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True, Numbers and Percentages. The correct answer choice is (C).

The stimulus gives us two strong pieces of information that can be combined to create the inference in the correct answer choice. First, we're told that from 1960 through 2010, the commercial fishing industry harvested "a greater percentage of the total amount of fish, by weight, in the world’s oceans in each succeeding year during that time."

Although we know that the percentage of fish harvested increased in each year, we don't necessarily know that the total harvest increased each year. For the industry's total harvest to increase each year, the total weight of fish in the sea would either have to remain the same or to increase. And if total harvest declined (or even stayed the same), then we would know that the total weight of fish in the sea would have to be declining. Because if that weight were staying the same or increasing, the increasing percentage harvested by the industry would have to lead to an increase in the harvest.

Second, we're told that the fishing industry's harvest "did not increase after 1995." Accordingly (as the above analysis states), the total weight of fish in the sea had to be declining each year from 1995 to 2010 (our prephrase). If that total weight were not declining, the increasing percentage of harvest each year would've naturally led to an increase in the harvest size each year.

Answer choice (A): The only measurements we get in the stimulus are of "fish, by weight." The stimulus never tells us the absolute number of fish (either in the sea, or being harvested by the industry). Thus, the information in the answer choice is "new information," and we cannot be certain about it.

Answer choice (B): This information goes beyond what the stimulus tells us, because we only know what changes the technical sophistication of the industry's equipment experienced, and what those changes enabled, during the years between 1960 and 2010. We do not know what happened to that technical sophistication, or what it enabled, after 2010.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer. It matches our prephrase. For the industry's harvest to stay the same each year from 1995 to 2010, even though it was capturing a greater percentage of the weight of fish in the sea in each of those years, the total weight of fish in the sea had to decline. For example, let's say the industry caught 70% of the weight of fish in the sea in 1995 and 85% of the weight of fish in the sea in 2010. And let's also say that in each of those years the industry had the same total harvest of 1,000,000 pounds. Then the total weight of fish in the sea in 1995 would've been a little over 1.4 million pounds, and the total weight of fish in the sea in 2010 would've been a little less than 1.2 million pounds (a decline).

Answer choice (D): This answer choice goes beyond what the stimulus states. We only know that the harvest did not increase after 1995. We have no way of knowing if it declined.

Answer choice (E): This information goes beyond what the stimulus tells us. We only know what happened to the technical sophistication of commercial fishing equipment between 1960 and 2010. We know nothing about what happened to that sophistication before 1960.
 lsathelppls
|
I ended up narrowing it down to A & C. I guessed C because I was running out of time and now looking back at it I can't understand what makes C the right answer. Could you please explain?
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsathelppls,

We've just posted a complete explanation to this question. Please let us know if that clears up your question!

Thanks!

Jeremy
 _klkl
|
lsathelppls wrote:I ended up narrowing it down to A & C. I guessed C because I was running out of time and now looking back at it I can't understand what makes C the right answer. Could you please explain?
Also narrowed it down to A & C and picked A. (I figured if the stimulus gives one premise about 1960 - 2010 and another premise about 1960 - 1995, the answer had to be about the years 1995 - 2010).

I think to summarize Powerscore's explanation above:

Total Weight of Fish Caught = Total Weight of Fish in the world x % Caught

So on a pie analogy, if you're eating a bigger portion of the pie but your slice is the same size, the pie must be smaller.
 Christen Hammock
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I like your pie analogy, Kiki!

Just because the percentage of the pie you're eating goes up from one pie to the next doesn't mean you're actually eating more pie! For example, a quarter of a huge pie (like the total weight of the world's fish in 1995) is still more than half of a tiny pie (like the total weight of the world's fish in 2010), even though the percentages technically went up.
 theamazingrace
|
In the stimulus where it says "harvested a greater percentage of the total amount of fish, by weight, in the world's oceans in each succeeding year during that time" confuses me. Does this me in each year the percentage was getting bigger and bigger or the overall the commercial fishing industry was able to harvest a greater percentage and maintain that percentage amount?

Thanks
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi theamazingrace!

The phrase "harvest a greater percentage of the total amount of fish, by weight, in the world’s oceans in each succeeding year during that time" means that each year they harvest a greater percentage of the total fish in the ocean than the year before. So maybe in one year, they harvest 3% of all the fish living in the ocean that year, the next year they harvest 5% of all the fish living in the ocean, the next year they harvest 6% of all the fish living in the ocean, etc. It's the amount of fish they harvest relative to the total amount of fish in the ocean that is increasing each year.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.