LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Main Point. The correct answer choice is (C).

The stimulus identifies a common practice (advertisers prohibiting graphic designers from signing their work) and then tells us that practice is a bad idea. The last sentence, about the negative effects of anonymity, is a premise that supports the claim in the second sentence, which is that "it is better that graphic designers not remain anonymous." That claim is the main conclusion, and as this is a Main Point question, that sentence is also our prephrase.

Answer choice (A): This is a paraphrase of a portion the first sentence, which was neither a premise nor a conclusion, but merely background information that set up the subject matter of the argument.

Answer choice (B): Just like answer A, this is just a portion of the first sentence, which only provided background info.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. As we prephrased, the author seeks to prove, based on the negative effects described in the last sentence, that forcing graphic designers to remain anonymous is a bad idea.

Answer choice (D): This is a portion of the premise, not the main conclusion.

Answer choice (E): This is also just a portion of the premise in the last sentence of the stimulus.
 studyhelp20
|
Dear Power Score Staff,

Can you please provide me with the correct answer to this problem? thanks in advance

Sincerely,
Brennan
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Brennan, we have now completed the official explanation, and that should answer your question. See the top of the thread.
 supernerd
|
I highlighted the correct conclusion, but still chose D.

For C –– I didn't like the phrasing "not desirable." How does being "better" translate into being "desirable," if graphic designers do not remain anonymous?

I chose D, since the following sentence speaks to effectiveness, and I saw this as backing up the conclusion.

I think I get it but am nervous about this kind of wording.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
supernerd,

In this case, no other answer choice is close - the only answer choice that resembles the second sentence is answer choice (C). If you identified that as the conclusion, you have to pick an answer that matches it. Answer choice (D) is a premise, as you indeed point out in what you're saying, so it's not the main point. The difference in one word - "better" versus "desirable - is very minor, whereas the difference between the second sentence and every answer choice except (C) is large. In this case, the discomfort of choosing an answer with a synonym should be much less than the discomfort of choosing an answer that doesn't match the conclusion at all.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.