LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This game is discussed in our Podcast: LSAT Podcast Episode 31: The September 2019 LSAT Logic Games Section

The basic setup to the game is depicted below. Notice a few things about that setup:

1. Since we have 6 available slots, but only 5 variables, there will be an empty space (depicted with an X, in the list of variables).
2. I've drawn the relationship between J and G as a single block (for convenience), but you have to keep in mind as you move forward it's always possible for J to be in the morning one day, and G to be in the afternoon the next day (or vice versa). That JG block rule yields the "not law" inferences that G cannot be on Wednesday, and J cannot be on Friday.
3. The last rule is complex to visualize, so for convenience I've just written it into the list of rules. Any inferences it yields will depend on how we place either G or K initially, so it's not wise to try to make any up-front universal inferences from that rule.
Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 1.02.44 PM.png
Now, if you were running out of time on this game (and since it's the 4th game of the section, that's probably the case for many people), it's likely best to move to the questions with the above basic setup and attempt to get as far as possible. But, if you have at least 5 minutes left in the section once you finish this basic diagram, it's worthwhile to think through some specific scenarios. That's because the JG block rule limits the placement possibilities for both J and G (for each variable, there are only 4 placement possibilities; 2 for J on each of Wednesday and Thursday; 2 for G on each of Thursday and Friday). And, since G limits the placement possibilities for K, you might benefit from thinking through what happens in each of the placement possibilities for G. I've diagrammed those "templates" below (#1=G on Thursday morning, #2=G on Thursday afternoon, #3=G on Friday morning, #4=G on Friday afternoon). But first, a couple notes on the templates:

1. When G is placed in the morning (on either Thursday or Friday), placement possibilities become very limited because H and L must fill the other two morning slots. Thus, the "G in the morning" templates are quite detailed.
2. When G is placed in the afternoon (on either Thursday or Friday), placement possibilities are more open-ended, with J constrained to one of two slots, and K a little more open. I've represented those constraints with dual options for J and K where appropriate, and left the remainder of those templates open. As soon as you can decide in those templates where J or K is placed, the options become much more limited. But, it's not worth diagramming every one of those options, as you'll likely run out of time (even if you had a reasonable amount of time for this game to begin with).
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 10.40.46 AM.png
I hope this helps!

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 hope
|
I have a couple of questions about the final rule. At most one client is between G and K.
1. Can G come before K and vice versa?
2. Can there be NO client between G and K?

Thank you.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes and yes! Neither order would violate the rule, and putting them with no other client between them also would not break the rule. If the rule isn't broken, it's allowed!
 ronaldofenomeno
|
Hi,

I have a question regarding template#1.

How can K be an option on Friday afternoon if G is scheduled on Thursday morning? That would break rule #3 since there will be more than 1 client between the two.

Thanks in advance.
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Ronald,

Remember that in the templates, the / just indicates the possibility of a placement there.

The final rule of the game states that a maximum of one client can be scheduled between G and K, not that only one appointment slot can exist, so it is possible for template #1 to create the below scenario, which doesn't break any rules:

..... ..... W ..... Th ..... ..... Fr
Am ..... h/l ..... ..... g ..... h/l
Pm ..... j ..... ..... _ ..... ..... k

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.