LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This game is discussed in our Podcast: LSAT Podcast Episode 31: The September 2019 LSAT Logic Games Section

Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=31312)

The correct answer choice is (C).

If only two of the people use L, then from our setup discussion we know they must be Tabitha and Will (both of who must use at least one L). Thus, answer choice (C) is the only possible correct answer.

Note that under this scenario Tabitha would then have to use two Ls in order satisfy the final rule.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.
 haydjohn
|
Hi!

I missed this on test day, I think I understand now - but I wanted to see if there is a quicker way to solve this.

"Lillies are used by exactly two people" This means one person uses two lillies ("Exactly one person uses two lilies" is given) and the other person uses one lilie.

"Only one can use hyacinths" This means I can eliminate option D (It's given that T and Z both use hyacinths).

So all I've done is eliminate option D.

Now I have Options A, B, C, and E remaining, I just had to brute force my why through all of these questions (eventually getting at the right answer, C).

Is there an inference I'm missing? Is there any way I can solve this quicker without brute forcing my way through 4 answer choices?
 Zach Foreman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
haydjohn,
There are two ways you could approach this. One is with an inference and the other is with templates based on an inference. The inference comes from the last rule: "Exactly one person uses two lilies." Which one? Well, it cannot be S because there would be only two kinds of flowers. The same with W. So that leaves T, W and Z. If U had two Ls, then it would have exactly one H and one R, but that would violate the second to last rule. So, only T or W could have two Ls.
So, you could make two templates: one with T having HGLL and one with Z having HRLL. There are several other inferences you can make with these templates using the remaining rules.
So, we can just go down the answer choices and eliminate any which don't contain either T or Z, which leaves only C and D. So, we can use our template to see if both T and Z can have L. If T has 2 Ls, however, Z must have HRGG because we know Z has exactly one H and one R and cannot have LL or LG (because then it would have 4 types), so the only one left is HRGG.
So, it must be C, with T having HGLL and W having GGRL. I think templates are the way to go but you could just use the inference that LL can only be in T or Z and go from there.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.