LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 snooziewoozie
|
Answer B is the correct answer as there is direct text reference.
In lines 41-43, it says that 'the very nature of films makes it an exactly reproducible art form'.

The other ones definitely can be supported or inferred but they're incorrect. Note: this is the first time I jogged down notes as I was reading the passage... really helped remember things as I don't have photographic memory.
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi snoozie,

Yes, exactly, and going slightly more broadly to lines 39-44, we can see the full contrast that answer choice B describes a little more clearly: "In many other arts it is obvious that reproductions of a work are not the work itself, and they are not treated as such. However, the very nature of film makes it an exactly reproducible art form; under ideal conditions, each print is not merely a reproduction but is in fact another instance of the work itself."

The other answers should be eliminated because the author does not state any of them directly as distinctions between film and other art forms. The language "The author distinguishes..." at the beginning of the question stem means we need a directly stated distinction in the passage.

Well done on this!
 soupynoodles14
|
Hi there! The author begins the second paragraph with the sentence: "In the process of distribution, a film can be mutilated in many ways." This is why I chose answer (D) - it clearly reflects to me that the author is talking about the fact that a filmmaker does not have autonomy to determine what happens to the end-user of the film. Throughout the passage, the author emphasizes "subtitling", "dubbing", "reedit[ing]", advertisements, and minimization on a small screen. How specifically does any of this discount answer (D)?

We could try to counter that this is true of any other art form. Take music for instance, or painting, or dancing. All of the things discussed above do not apply to those art forms.

Thanks in advance for everything you folks do at PowerScore.
Soupy
 soupynoodles14
|
I'd like to answer my own question with a second review of this and a fresh pair of eyes (apologies). The lines alluded to 39-44 in the responses above enough are more than enough to justify the credited response. Any of the mutilations I referred to in my previous post can apply to other art forms - e.g. ads on YouTube videos, audio quality, the speaker issues when someone is dancing onstage.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
soupynoodles14,

I would also add to what you said that the question wants us to point out where the author differentiated film from some other art forms. Even if the earlier reference (line 22) could be used for that purpose, the author didn't do so, so it doesn't answer the question. Instead the lines 39-44 reference is evidence for answer choice (B).

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.