LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 claudiagarin
|
Why is A incorrect?

It seems like the contrapositive

Thanks.
 ToluOj
|
Hi,

Could you please explain the #% component to this question? I completely missed it during the exam and during my review. The logic makes sense that it's harder to study something when there's growing scarcity, but it's not a conclusion I would've arrived at based on the sentences there.

Thanks,
Tolu
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Claudia and Tolu!

Claudia, the premises here are not conditional statements (instead they state correlations--"more this, more that"), so we don't have any contrapositives to look out for. The problem with answer choice A is that it's making a definitive statement about the future that the premises provide no basis for. The premises do not say how well we currently understand any particular endangered species, so we don't know how far we have to go (or if we have to get any more understanding than we have currently!) to save them from extinction. Without that information at least, there's no way to predict whether those species will become extinct.

Tolu, the numbers and percents here come from terms like "better chance" (a percentage-based notion that with better understanding comes a higher likelihood of saving an endangered species) and "more individuals" (meaning, a greater number of individuals). Answer choice C is tricky, but derived from the relatively simple notion that correlations run in both directions. Since more individuals studied means better understanding, fewer individuals available to study is likely to mean less (or at least a harder time!) understanding the species. That's all you really need to arrive at answer choice C.

I hope this helps!
 momgoingbacktoschool
|
The way I've been able to decipher between A and C is that C is basically the less extreme version of A. A is too definitive to be correct.
 JocelynL
|
I was between C & D. I ended up choosing C because the stimulus doesn't talk about "action" , which is mentioned in D. Is this an accurate way of reasoning?
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jocelyn,

Yes, that's perfect! Answer choice D expresses a comparison that we have no basis for making, because we do not know (the stimulus doesn't say) how important "taking action" is when it comes to saving endangered species.

Nice work again!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.