LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 agt185
|
Can you post the set-up for this game? Or assess my set up?

—— —— ——
—— —— ——
—— N L
TH. F. Sa (/P)

Max 2 times per var.
M—-> L
/L——-> /M——-> NPQ

I tried doing some templates here but I did not feel they were worth it in this case.
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi agt - thanks for posting! We're trying to wait a bit—until the June test is officially released and available for purchase—before posting too much "official" explanation for it (spoilers and whatnot), but I'm happy to give some feedback on your setup!

Happily, you've done a great job here! In fact, that inference about L on Saturday is a great one, as is your conclusion of the final group when L is absent! Really nice work :)

The only two things I had in my setup that I don't see below (and perhaps you've factored these in but not shown them, which is certainly fine), are (1) I had a split option for L on Thursday and Friday, since L must be assigned twice, and (2) I had the 2-2-2-2-1 distribution written out to remind me to always consider it when attacking the questions.

So you're in excellent shape with this setup! Great job!
 Luna222
|
Jon Denning wrote:Hi agt - thanks for posting! We're trying to wait a bit—until the June test is officially released and available for purchase—before posting too much "official" explanation for it (spoilers and whatnot), but I'm happy to give some feedback on your setup!

Happily, you've done a great job here! In fact, that inference about L on Saturday is a great one, as is your conclusion of the final group when L is absent! Really nice work :)

The only two things I had in my setup that I don't see below (and perhaps you've factored these in but not shown them, which is certainly fine), are (1) I had a split option for L on Thursday and Friday, since L must be assigned twice, and (2) I had the 2-2-2-2-1 distribution written out to remind me to always consider it when attacking the questions.

So you're in excellent shape with this setup! Great job!

Hi John,

I am wondering how you came to the inference that L has to be assigned twice?

My set up was
M-->L
/L ---> /M (and i inferred that L could work even if M is not working).

I also had N on Friday and /P for Saturday.

I see now the 2-2-2-2-1 distribution is important but I am still confused on how L works two days and it is L & Thurs or Fri. If you could explain that to me that would be a great help! Thanks
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Luna,

The inference about L working twice comes from two things: (1) the fact that we need every worker except one to work twice (since no volunteer works every day, that's the only way we can fill the nine volunteer slots: 4 work twice, 1 works once), and (2) the contrapositive you accurately diagrammed for the M ---> L rule (~L ----> ~M). Because if there are two days that L does NOT work, then M also does NOT work on those two days, and then we'd only be able to fill 8 of the 9 required volunteer slots. So L must work twice.

L also must work on Saturday. If L doesn't work on Saturday, then neither does M, and, since there's a rule that P does not work on Saturday, we wouldn't be able to fill all three Saturday volunteer slots. Since L must work on Saturday, L's second day will have to be either Thursday or Friday (but not both).

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.