LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 oli_oops
|
Hello Powerscore staff,

I did this question by listing out 3 different scenarios/hypotheticals: Morse works on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, respectively. And I ruled out A, B, C, E, and found D to be correct. However, is there any method that I can do this more systematically and much faster?

Thank you for all that you do!

oli
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There sure is, oli, and that is to use what you know about the numerical distribution in this game. With 5 people filling 9 spaces, and nobody allowed to go three times, the game requires a 2-2-2-2-1 distribution. That is, 4 of the volunteers each work twice, while 1 of them works just once.

In this local question, M is the one volunteer that only works once, so all the others must work twice. Since P cannot work on Saturday, but must work twice, he has to work both Thursday and Friday, and there's your answer! No need to do multiple scenarios, and the question can be answered in just seconds.

That numerical distribution should also allow you to quickly get the answer to question 20 with no extra diagramming. If P only works once, everyone else works twice. Take a look at how that information, coupled with what we know about M's relationship with L, allows you to infer the correct answer. (I expect we will speak about that in greater detail in the thread on that question, at https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=28075 , so I won't go into it any further here)
 oli_oops
|
Adam Tyson wrote:There sure is, oli, and that is to use what you know about the numerical distribution in this game. With 5 people filling 9 spaces, and nobody allowed to go three times, the game requires a 2-2-2-2-1 distribution. That is, 4 of the volunteers each work twice, while 1 of them works just once.

In this local question, M is the one volunteer that only works once, so all the others must work twice. Since P cannot work on Saturday, but must work twice, he has to work both Thursday and Friday, and there's your answer! No need to do multiple scenarios, and the question can be answered in just seconds.

That numerical distribution should also allow you to quickly get the answer to question 20 with no extra diagramming. If P only works once, everyone else works twice. Take a look at how that information, coupled with what we know about M's relationship with L, allows you to infer the correct answer. (I expect we will speak about that in greater detail in the thread on that question, at https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=28075 , so I won't go into it any further here)

Thank you Adam! This really helps!!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.