LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 momgoingbacktoschool
|
Administrator wrote:Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
What's the best way to answer this question besides spending 2 min and 20 seconds diagramming each answer choice?
 180bound
|
I have the same question as the previous user. I can do the problem but testing out each answer choice is killing my time. How would one who has not seen this question before go about attacking this?
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey 180bound. Awesome username, love that confidence. Let's walk through this one.

For Local questions like this one, the first thing we want to do is draw a new diagram incorporating our new rule. I then want to look at my old rules and see what inferences I can come up with by combining them with my new rule.

Here, my new rule tells me that R is on days 2 and 4. That really starts to limit where things can go in my watercolor row, so my first move is to determine where P and S will go. I know from my initial setup to this game that S can't go in week 1 (go check the Setup thread for this Game if you weren't able to get that inference - but basically our last rule prevents H from ever going in week 1 and so because of our 3rd rule, S can't go in week 1 either). That means P has to be in week 1, which leaves S going in week 3. Because of my 3rd rule, that means that H has to go in week 3 up in my oil painting row.

So my local diagram starts to look like:

_ _ H _

P R S R

What quick Not Laws can we draw in that local diagram? Well, because of our 2nd rule, G can't go in Week 1 (since P is in week 1). Remember that in our initial setup for this game, we made the inference that H can never go in week 1. So since G and H both can't go in week 1, that means I has to go in week 1. And because of our first rule, we now know that neither I nor H can go in week 2, so that means G has to go there. So we have everything figured out except for our week 4 spot in the oil painting row. That last spot can't be H because of our first rule, but it could be either I or G.

So our final local diagram here looks like:

I G H I/G

P R S R

Could be True questions always ask us about what we don't know (uncertainty), so before I even look at my answer choices I can predict that my answer is either going to be "I is in week 4" or "G is in week 4". I then finally come down to my answer choices and E perfectly matches my prediction. No testing out of answer choices required.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.