LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A). This is a difficult rule substitution question as the inference that it's asking for is somewhat difficult to get initially as well. The way to get to this inference is to understand how the conditionality of the rules plays out in terms of the advanced, tiered linear nature of the game. And as always, be thinking about contrapositives.

Here, we start with the notion that every oil painting will have a watercolor with it, and vice versa. From this the rules limit our choices somewhat:

Rule 2: P :dblline: G

Rule 3: S :arrow: H

Inference: G :arrow: R, as P can only go with H or I and S can only go with H, while R can go with any of the oil paintings, leaving it the only one that could go with G. This doesn't mean that it's a bi-conditional though, as R could also go with H or I, because one of each painting type must be used twice in order to fill the fourth slot. That uncertainty only allows us to make the one-way arrow inference, making (B) incorrect.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Luna222
|
I selected the correct answer for this question but I am wondering if someone could explain the differences between A and B and how the two would play out? I want to understand 100% why it’s A and not B
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Luna,

This is a difficult rule substitution question as the inference that it's asking for is somewhat difficult to get initially as well. The way to get to this inference is to understand how the conditionality of the rules plays out in terms of the advanced, tiered linear nature of the game. And as always, be thinking about contrapositives.

Here, we start with the notion that every oil painting will have a watercolor with it, and vice versa. From this the rules limit our choices somewhat:

Inference: G :arrow: R, as P can only go with H or I and S can only go with H, while R can go with any of the oil paintings, leaving it the only one that could go with G. This doesn't mean that it's a bi-conditional though, as R could also go with H or I, because one of each painting type must be used twice in order to fill the fourth slot. That uncertainty only allows us to make the one-way arrow inference, making (B) incorrect.

Note that most rule substitution questions are just asking directly for the inference we can draw from the rule, aka the effect of the rule, so if you caught the inference on the setup they should be easy to get correct.

Hope this helps!
 Luna222
|
James Finch wrote:Hi Luna,

This is a difficult rule substitution question as the inference that it's asking for is somewhat difficult to get initially as well. The way to get to this inference is to understand how the conditionality of the rules plays out in terms of the advanced, tiered linear nature of the game. And as always, be thinking about contrapositives.

Note that most rule substitution questions are just asking directly for the inference we can draw from the rule, aka the effect of the rule, so if you caught the inference on the setup they should be easy to get correct.

Hope this helps!
Thank you, it did!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.