LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

SGD2021
|
Thank you, Adam! I noticed I made the same mistake on a different game so I was hoping to clarify before exam day on Saturday.

I wonder if the following thought process is correct. If I have the following conditional, which is the Contrapositive of rule 4: (NOT I1)--> H3 or H4, then to see if the sufficient condition is triggered, all I have to do is look at the entire game board and see if I is not in 1 AT ALL. So if I is in spots 1 and 3, we don't meet the sufficient condition since OVERALL I can see I is in 1, so this rule does not apply?
 SGD2021
|
Is the negation of "cannot" always "is"? So for example for rule 4, the negation of "H cannot be shown earlier than the third week" is that "H IS shown earlier than the third week"?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The negation of Cannot is Can, SGD, but the simplest way to show that is to proactively place that variable where it can go. "Oh, X cannot happen unless Y does? Cool, let's see what we get when X happens, and then let's see what we get when Y doesn't happen."
 jailenea
|
Why was rule 3 shown as a block in the administrator setup but not rule 4? Can't we diagram it the same way as rule #4, but negatively, such as:

P -> ~G
G -> ~P

Why is it better to leave 3 as a block but 4 as a conditional?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
While you could do the rule about G and P as a conditional, jailenea, we do it as a not-block because the rule doesn't tell us what G DOES go with, only what it does NOT go with. Ultimately, we can infer that wherever you have G you must also have R, and that inference should be shown as a conditional relationship. But when you are told what cannot happen, we find it's best to draw the thing that cannot happen and then cross it out.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.