LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Balanced, Basic Linear game.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 momgoingbacktoschool
|
Administrator wrote:Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

What is the most effective set up for this question? I set this up as if it were a sequencing question with branches. Would it have been better to do a typical linear set up with not laws under each space instead? or maybe even do templates? I only had one image of branches... no templates from my main branch image. Thanks.
 momgoingbacktoschool
|
momgoingbacktoschool wrote:

What is the most effective set up for this question? I set this up as if it were a sequencing question with branches. Would it have been better to do a typical linear set up with not laws under each space instead? or maybe even do templates? I only had one image of branches... no templates from my main branch image. Thanks.
I think I figured it out. It was helpful for me to branch it out like a sequencing game but where I failed is that I failed to take it one step further and see if there are templates that can be made from the sequencing diagram. Here are the templates I came up with.

T M L/J N/P N/P J/L
J/T T/J M N/P N/P L
 momgoingbacktoschool
|

I think I figured it out. It was helpful for me to branch it out like a sequencing game but where I failed is that I failed to take it one step further and see if there are templates that can be made from the sequencing diagram. Here are the templates I came up with.

T M L/J N/P N/P J/L
J/T T/J M N/P N/P L

I missed a template.

J/T T/J M N/P N/P L
 Ari
|
Hello,

I could also benefit from an explanation on the most efficient way to deal with this game. I connected the rules doing branching like momgoingbacktoschool did. At the time, I did not do templates. However, I feel like I spent too much time on this more basic game and am wondering if templates are the way to go. I feel like because J and T are the only participants that can go first, it would be. You would have: J,T,D,N,P,L or J,T,N,P,D,L if J is first and T,D,L/J,N,P,J/L if T is first. Am I missing anything? Is this the best way to go about it? If yes, is the restrictive nature of slot 1 the key to deciding to use templates? Thank you!

Arianna
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Arianna!

You're missing the possibilities where T is first and J is second. And remember to account for the fact that N/P can go in either order in all of your templates. But otherwise your templates look good.

Exactly how you set up your diagram for this game is a matter of personal preference. Certainly you can draw your templates like you have them. Personally, since all the rules are sequencing rules, I stuck with having a typical sequence branching diagram for my setup here. So I just drew two sequencing diagrams, representing the two possibilities from our last rule of J - P - L and L - P - J, like so:

Diagram #1 (where J-P-L):

M
T <           > L
J - (N/P)

Diagram #2 (where L-P-J):

T - M - L - (N/P) - J

And those two sequencing possibilities allow us to attack the questions here very quickly. So I think either templates or sequencing diagrams are good choices here, it just comes down to preference (the templates are of course more defined, whereas the sequencing diagrams allow a more visual representation of the uncertainty in that first diagram). As for your question about how to recognize templates, we typically can spot templates by focusing on the areas of the game that are both limited and determinative (aka they make other things fall into place). Here, those limited areas with determinative effect are: the J/L dichotomy and (as you said) the limitations on what can go first.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.