LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 hlee18
|
Hello,

I'm wondering why C is not correct, because of the phrasing "illustrate an implication"?

What would be an example of an illustration of an implication?

Thanks!
 Zach Foreman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi H,
Excellent question. I want to model how I approached the question then answer you directly.

When we see that the question is a specific reference, we go to paragraph 5. We can see that the suggestion is consistent with C&C's theory. Basically, G&V said that subatomic energy fluctuations can generate big bangs. C&C piggyback on this suggestion by saying that that is where OUR Big Bang came from.

So, I like to just read the first word of each answer choice to see if it matches my prephrase: question, raise objection, illustrate an implication, show how a puzzle is resolved and suggest an alternative explanation. Answer choices (A), (B) and (E) are too contentious, that is, they don't capture the cooperative nature of the suggestion by G&V and the theory that C&C build upon it. That leaves us with (C) and (D). Both answer choices are a bit abstract and so we always want to tie them to something concrete. Starting with (D), what is the puzzle? Well, it is the fact that entropy tends to increase but then how did the Big Bang happen, which would seem to be a very low state of entropy i.e. all matter and energy is in one spot? Does the suggestion by G&V help resolve the puzzle? Yes, because it shows that there are examples of entropy being reversed on the subatomic scale in our universe. Therefore, as C&C suggest, maybe it can be reversed in the multiverse and we get the Big Bang.
Then what about (C)? The main issue with (C) is that it reverses the relationship between G&V and C&C. In the passage, it is clear that C&C based their theory on G&V's suggestion, that is, G&V suggested that big bangs could happen in our universe and C&C took that and expanded it to say that big bangs could happen in the multiverse and that would be our Big Bang.
Answer choice (C), however, says that C&C's theory came first and G&V illustrate an implication. It is not an implication but a premise or requirement.

What would be an implication? Well, their theory says that the Big Bang is not a unique event in the multiverse. So, that implies that other universes like ours have formed and will form. It would be difficult to illustrate such an abstract idea, however. There is certainly no implication that we could communicate with or travel to another universe in the multiverse.

I would say that prephrasing something like "the suggestion of G&V supports C&C's theory that our Big Bang is not unique in the multiverse). Ideally, you would additionally prephrase "... and that solves the paradox of entropy always increasing contradicting the Big Bang", but that would be tough.
 hlee18
|
Great, thanks! I can definitely now see that the answer C has it flipped, where G & V's work has implications for C &C, not the reverse.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.