LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 shw30521
|
Hi!
i got this question wrong on the exam... i chose A and I now realize why b is the correct answer. B undermines the argument... what b is saying is that there are methods besides dieting that can prevent osteoporosis; you don't have to be on a special diet to prevent osteoporosis and that goes against what the nutritionist is saying. The answer is not A because that supports the arguments. In the paragraph the N says that WEIGHT BEARING EXERCISE is essential. Choice A proves that WEIGHTLESS exercise is ineffective. which supports the argument.

CDE are obvious wrong answers because they clearly support the argument
 Erik Christensen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
SHW,

Good job in eliminating questions choices (c), (d), and (e) because they clearly support the argument!!

Answer choice (a) is a little tricky but you are right in pointing out that the exercises engaged on in space are not weight-bearing and therefore the fact that the exercises in space did not prevent osteoporosis supports the argument in the stimulus that exercises must be weight bearing.

Answer choice (b) does not support the argument and is thus the correct answer choice. Note that the second sentence in the stimulus does not say that low-protein diets are simply one way of preventing the condition. Low protein diets are ESSENTIAL to preventing osteoporosis and therefore any diets that are not low in protein like the ones mentioned in answer choice (b) cannot be effective.

ERIK
 tizwvu34
|
I selected (D) because all we know from the stimulus is that a high calcium doesn't prevent osteoporosis. However, no where does it say that you couldn't have a diet high calcium while still satisfying the condition of low-protein diet with an abundance of fruits and vegetables and a minimum quantity of meat and dairy products.

What if the Arctic people consume a high amount of calcium while in tandem eating a low-protein diet? (D) in a sense links a high calcium diet to osteoporosis, when all we can know is that high calcium does not prevent it.

I eliminated (B) because certain medical therapies, (i.e. Physical Therapy/Rehabilitation) are weight bearing exercises, which is in turn essential to preventing osteoporosis.

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
While you are correct that answer D does not prove the conclusion, tizwvu34, because we don't know what else those arctic people are doing, it does help support the claim that "a high-calcium diet does not prevent osteoporosis." Since it supports that claim, which is one part of the nutritionist's view, it does strengthen the nutritionist's overall view.

Answer B, on the other hand, directly attacks the claim that a low-protein diet is essential. If you can reduce osteoporosis with just physical exercise or some other non-dietary therapy, then that special diet isn't essential, is it? That hurts the overall view of the nutritionist, rather than supporting it. Since answer B offers no support for the view, only a challenge to it, it is the exception and thus the correct answer.

Looks like you read a little too much into answer B, by the way. The answer does not say what those therapies are, and you should not assume that they are the kinds of therapies that the author mentioned. As written, with no outside help, answer B directly contradicts one part of the argument and does nothing to support any other portion.
 Sean Kim
|
Hi :) I have one question
I do get that (B) is the correct answer, but can't (E) also be an answer?

The argument states that 'a low-protein diet with ~ a minimum quantity of meat ~ is essential for the prevention~'
Then how can the example of 'strict vegetarians', who obviously would not consume any meat, be used to support the argument?

thanks!
Sean
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sean Kim,

0 meat would be as minimum as you could possibly get! So vegetarians, who consume no meat at all, in combination with an otherwise similarly low-protein diet, don't get osteoporosis. That's exactly consistent with the author, so strengthens the argument, making it incorrect.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.