LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

colli341
|
Hi!

So, I think this is a sequencing game? We are putting the mining jobs in a sequence by month. From the rules, I made the inference that July must either be G or H and November must be K or H. Is there a way to have realized that November actually must be K? I feel like the deduction is a bit misleading if November actually cannot be H. Is there a way to work through this question faster than trying out the options?

Thanks!
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Colli!

This is a basic linear game since there is fixed positioning and ordering of variables, though it's certainly more involved than your average basic linear game! Great job with your inferences, you're correct about July and November! At first glance, you're able to make the inference that only G or H can be in July and only K or H can be in November. However, you're also correct that we can further eliminate H from November. Truthfully, the only way to make this additional inference is by testing to see if H can be placed in November, but it's a fairly easy proof.

If we attempt to put H in November, we end up with: _ _ _ _ _ G H K H. No matter which way we slice it, we cannot avoid breaking the other rules! We will always end up violating the rule that G and K must be separated by H. So, we can quickly eliminate H from the running for November and know that K must always be in November!

Hope this helps! :)
Kate
 hansolo
|
I was confused by this question because there's a scenario that could be true.

You could have:

KGHKHGHKG
or
KHGKHGHKG

That doesn't mean that the mean must work at K. Of course, you can't have H at the ends, but I was wondering if I'm misinterpreting the question.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Han,

Based on your diagrams, it looks like you misinterpreted the first rule. The wording of that first rule is tricky and appears to have confused many people, but it basically means that you can't ever have GK or KG next to each other in consecutive months. Anytime you switch from G to K (or vice versa) you must separate them with an H.

Be sure to check out Jon's complete setup (including the rules and all of the solutions) for the game linked below.

viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=26863

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.