LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 tetsuya0129
|
Hi Powerscore,

Upon my first look at the question stem, I had trouble really understanding its precise meaning, particularly the latter clause of the stem mentions "as the author uses....of the second paragraph." I understood this clause as suggesting the author's viewpoints on the concept of state action.

In the end, I still chose B because my initial interpretation of the clause misled me. Nevertheless, I remained confused about the clause. In my review, I tried to read the clause as suggesting the meaning of "state action" based on the fourth sentence of the 2nd paragraph. Since it points out "..uses that phrase in the fourth sentence....", I felt that I was not allowed to refer to other parts of the paragraph.

So I would really appreciate it if you would kindly help unlock my confusion! Thank you!

Best regards,

Leon
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You are on the right track, Leon.

The question is asking us how we would determine if something was a "state action" based on how the author is using that phrase in the passage. The key idea in the passage is that the court found that a private action became a state action when the state enforced it using its judicial power. That leads us to answer choice (B)---to determine if something is a state action, we need to know who is acting.

Hope that helps
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.