LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 MillsV
|
Answer A seems like such a huge leap to make. Can you explain how this answer is correct? I chose C because it seemed the most reasonable.

How can you make the connection that Moose eating the birds' food supply leads to a high number of one type of bird outside of the park? This answer makes no sense to me
 Frank Peter
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mills,

Bringing in new information isn't always a problem in LR - you just have to be careful when you are looking at must be true questions. But in the case of this question, we are looking to resolve the paradox, which means we can bring in new information to help explain the apparent paradox if we need to. (C) doesn't really do anything to resolve the paradox - we're still not sure why the birds seem to prefer outside the park rather than inside. (A) does a better job of this because if moose are in the park and eating all of the food the birds rely on, that helps to explain the situation.
 MillsV
|
Ok thanks - I think I was overthinking this one
 salman
|
Hello,

Can you please explain the difference between A and B. Answer A still does not address the issue why "certain" birds specifies are higher outside. If moose were eating bird food should all types of birds be outside.

I thought because certain reptiles are outside, certain birds prefer to feed to them.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Answer A refers to food that "the birds" need - that's a reference to the specific birds that the stimulus is telling us about, salman. It's not that they are eating food need by all birds. It's just the birds that are more populous outside the park than inside. That competition for food could explain that odd situation.

Answer B does nothing, because it doesn't tell us anything about why this situation is the way it is. It just adds another fact that contributes nothing to the explanation. It's a different mystery that might require a completely different explanation. Are the reptiles somehow linked to the birds? Is there some third factor that affects both? Is it just an unrelated phenomenon? There's no answer here, just more questions!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.