LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question Explanation

Resolve the Paradox. The correct answer choice is (E)

The use of "most helps to explain the surprising outcome" in the question stem makes this a Resolve question, where you must supply an answer that resolves or explains the surprising result (basically a paradox) in the stimulus.

So we are looking to explain why adding access online led to a fewer range of articles being cited, or as the stimulus says, why adding access to online articles led to a greater tendency to cite the same articles.

Answer choice C explains why adding online articles would not change the situation at all since the scientists tend to cite articles by people they know, but it does not explain why the range decreased.

Answer choice E explains why the range decreased. It explains why there are fewer articles being cited because now only the most highly regarded articles are being cited because moving the journals online made it easier to determine which articles are the most highly regarded. Answer choice C does nothing essentially to explain the change in the quantity of the articles being cited.
 jennifersuh
|
Hi!
Could I get some help understanding why C is incorrect for this question, as well as why E is the better answer?

Jenn
 Michaelangilo
|
Would like to know how C is the right answer?? I really thought AC A was a great answer. :(
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Michaelangelo and Jennifer Suh,

So we are looking to explain why adding acccess online led to a fewer range of articles being cited, or as the stimulu says, why adding access to online articles led to a greater tendency to cite the same articles. Answer choice C explains why adding online articles would not change the situation at all since the scientists tend to cite articles by people they know, but it does not explain why the range decreased.

Answer choice E explains why the range decreased. It explains why there are fewer articles being cited because now only the most highly regarded articles are being cited because moving the journals online made it easier to determine which articles are the most highly regarded. Answer choice C does nothing essentially to explain the change in the quantity of the articles being cited.

I hope my explanaiton helps and I wish you both all of the luck in your studies.

Best,
Ryan
 15nae@queensu.ca
|
what question type is this? justify the conclusion?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.