LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Lily123
|
James Finch wrote:The key to this question is to quickly diagram out the the chain given by the other premises:

FC :arrow: DL :arrow: K :arrow: WP

And see which of the answer choices, as a Cannot be True, contains incompatible conditions. Answer choice (B) does this, and is correct.
Can someone please explain how we eliminate D?
Is it because we only know: WP some DL
Which doesn't rule out the possibility that some people who want each other to proper ALSO dislike each other?
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Lily,

Yes--we do not know WP :arrow: -DL, we only know WP some -DL. That leaves open the possibility that some people who dislike each other still want each other to prosper.

Another way of looking at it is that for you to know that (D) is false you would need to make a Mistaken Reversal, which is a great reason to eliminate it.
 stu(dying)
|
I chose B, the correct answer, however, I was struggling between A and B...

The inferences I made are as follows:

1) Respect --> Fully Content in Presence --> Dislike --> Kind --> Prosper

2) Prosper --> Kind --> Dislike --> Respect --> Fully Content in Presence

Answer A threw me off because it states: Dislike --> Fully Content in Presence... From what I understood, ALL people who dislike each other are not fully content, people who like each other are fully content in each other's presence.

Can someone please explain to me, in more depth, as to why answer A could be true?
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi stu(dying),

Great question, thanks! I want to make one small adjustment to your contrapositive chain (just to avoid confusion), which should be: ~Prosper :arrow: ~Kind :arrow: Dislike :arrow: ~Fully Content :arrow: Respect.

With regard to answer choice A, you're right to say that all people who dislike each other are not fully content in each other's presence (that's the proper interpretation of the first half of the third sentence of the stimulus). In that statement, the necessary condition is "not fully content in each other's presence," and the sufficient condition is "dislike each other." In any conditional relationship the necessary condition can occur with or without the sufficient condition. Thus, answer choice A, which states that the necessary condition (not being fully content) is present in the absence of the sufficient condition (meaning where we have people who like, rather than dislike, each other), is a possibility.

The mistake you made is what, for convenience, PowerScore labels a Mistaken Negation: you inferred that the absence of the sufficient condition (i.e., the absence of dislike) requires the absence of the necessary condition (i.e., the absence of "not being fully content"). But because a necessary condition can be present without its sufficient condition, this is a logical mistake.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
 stu(dying)
|
Omg! How could I forget... thank you so much!!
 AG23
|
I just wanted to confirm since Ive run into this before. Can I eliminate A because Not disliking doesn't necessarily mean liking so conditional reasoning is irrelevant?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi AG,

Yes, that's correct: the stimulus doesn't mention anything about people who actually like each other, only about those who either do or don't dislike each other. So we need to focus on the actual conditions given, especially as we have an A :arrow: D chain, and be on the lookout for one of the following possibilities as the Prephrase for this question and others like it:

A :some: C
A :some: D
B :some: D

Hope this helps!
 jdavidwik
|
Jeremy Press wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:56 am Hi stu(dying),

Great question, thanks! I want to make one small adjustment to your contrapositive chain (just to avoid confusion), which should be: ~Prosper :arrow: ~Kind :arrow: Dislike :arrow: ~Fully Content :arrow: Respect.

With regard to answer choice A, you're right to say that all people who dislike each other are not fully content in each other's presence (that's the proper interpretation of the first half of the third sentence of the stimulus). In that statement, the necessary condition is "not fully content in each other's presence," and the sufficient condition is "dislike each other." In any conditional relationship the necessary condition can occur with or without the sufficient condition. Thus, answer choice A, which states that the necessary condition (not being fully content) is present in the absence of the sufficient condition (meaning where we have people who like, rather than dislike, each other), is a possibility.

The mistake you made is what, for convenience, PowerScore labels a Mistaken Negation: you inferred that the absence of the sufficient condition (i.e., the absence of dislike) requires the absence of the necessary condition (i.e., the absence of "not being fully content"). But because a necessary condition can be present without its sufficient condition, this is a logical mistake.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
Hello Jeremy,

I left off preparing for the LSAT but return now, reviewing questions that seem to display recurring LSAT patterns. I understand Brook's and your explanations, specifically that A and D are showing Mistaken Reversals in their wording, but then James Finch's explanation took things a bit too far for me. He also goes into detail on a prephrase part which addresses an aspect which I don't see significantly mentioned in the answer choices, namely the "some may still respect" aspect. Can someone conform the last contribution with the previous explanations? I am trying to fully accept everything mentioned by staff.
 jdavidwik
|
jdavidwik wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:37 pm
Jeremy Press wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:56 am Hi stu(dying),

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
Hello Jeremy,

I left off preparing for the LSAT but return now, reviewing questions that seem to display recurring LSAT patterns. I understand Brook's and your explanations, specifically that A and D are showing Mistaken Reversals in their wording, but then James Finch's explanation took things a bit too far for me. He also goes into detail on a prephrase part which addresses an aspect which I don't see significantly mentioned in the answer choices, namely the "some may still respect" aspect. Can someone conform the last contribution with the previous explanations? I am trying to fully accept everything mentioned by staff.
I meant Mistaken Negations...
 jdavidwik
|
Re " as we have an A > D chain...be on the lookout for one of the following possibilities as the Prephrase for this question and others like it" and the following schematic, I see it for the sage advice it is now. Panicking doesn't help.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.