LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 BostonLawGuy
|
Is this a question where one must "brute force" through each answer choice? I don't see much use of intuition in the answer choices. If we do have to brute force, is it a time-waster to check both scenarios with W in either 3 or 5?
That would be two game boards for each answer choice which would use too much time.
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Boston, try reworking the inferences and questions with this in mind:

W is in 3rd or 5th.

When W is in 3rd, then N is propelled to 1-3 because of the OZ block and Y in 4/5.

When W is in 5th, things are more loose, but the OZ block is still taking up room and placing N or Y will propel the other.

#21 is not brute force, because you have JT>KV>L/W. Since OZ block, LY and NW to avoid violating the -NY.

(A) LW together, wrong
(B) NW can't be in 4, wrong
(C) LW together, wrong (double for your money)
(D) LY can't be that early, wrong.
(E) where we put OZ isn't a problem, this can happen.

I think that this game can be more work than is pleasant, but that even with limited inferences at the outset, carefully representing the local rules for each question really fills in the gaps.
 MillsV
|
Hi Why do OZ and Y have to be in 4/5?
Brook Miscoski wrote:Boston, try reworking the inferences and questions with this in mind:

W is in 3rd or 5th.

When W is in 3rd, then N is propelled to 1-3 because of the OZ block and Y in 4/5.

When W is in 5th, things are more loose, but the OZ block is still taking up room and placing N or Y will propel the other.

#21 is not brute force, because you have JT>KV>L/W. Since OZ block, LY and NW to avoid violating the -NY.

(A) LW together, wrong
(B) NW can't be in 4, wrong
(C) LW together, wrong (double for your money)
(D) LY can't be that early, wrong.
(E) where we put OZ isn't a problem, this can happen.

I think that this game can be more work than is pleasant, but that even with limited inferences at the outset, carefully representing the local rules for each question really fills in the gaps.
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi MillsV!

To see why the OZ block must be in 4 or 5 on this question, consider the number of blocks we have in this question: JT, KV, and OZ. These are especially constraining when taken in tandem with the rule that N and Y cannot be together.

If you attempt to place the OZ block in positions 1 or 2, you would find that this doesn't allow any possible diagrams except ones in which N and Y are together. Since this would violate the rules, we can infer that the OZ block can't be in either of those slots. If OZ were in the 3rd slot, this might initially seem to work:

J K O N L
T V Z W Y

While placing OZ in the third slot makes it possible to separate N and Y, this diagram ultimately wouldn't work either, because the rules stipulate that W can't be in the 4th slot. Under the local rules of this question, therefore, the OZ block can't be in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd slots, but it could fit in either 4 or 5.
 peerage94
|
Wonder (B), Why cannot N be the fourth week?

J-K-Y-L-O
T-V-W-N-Z

O-J-K-L-Y
Z-T-V-N-W
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You appear to have mixed up one artist and one musician, peerage94, You have N in the list of musicians and Y in the list of artists, which is reversed. Y and W cannot be paired up because they are both musicians, and L and N cannot go together because they are both artists. Once you switch those around you'll see that N must be paired with W, and therefore N cannot go 4th (since W cannot).

When J is with T and K is with V, Y can only go with L (because it's not with N or O). That means N must be with W.
 WizardFungus226
|
Not sure what I’m missing for B) as an option. I slotted in N for four:

_ _ _ N _
_ _ _ _ _

Then added in other variables according to the rules, ending with:

J O K N L
T Z Y V W

JT and OZ are paired together, J-K-L and T-V-W are preserved, N is fourth, and NY are not together. Am I missing something? I don’t see which rule this scenario breaks.
 WizardFungus226
|
WizardFungus226 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:28 pm Not sure what I’m missing for B) as an option. I slotted in N for four:

_ _ _ N _
_ _ _ _ _

Then added in other variables according to the rules, ending with:

J O K N L
T Z Y V W

JT and OZ are paired together, J-K-L and T-V-W are preserved, N is fourth, and NY are not together. Am I missing something? I don’t see which rule this scenario breaks.
Wow do I have egg on my face. Just reread the prompt for #21 and saw that I completely missed that K and Y are together. Never mind!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.