LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 lsathelppls
|
please explain this part. the two different groups having mixing is confusing me. i have a set-up where i am able to eliminate A, C, E.

N J K O L
T V W Z Y

but can't figure out a scenario where B doesn't work
also if there is a faster way to do it, please explain!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
My approach to this question, lsathelppls, was to focus on the very restrictive nature of the sequence created by the local question: T-V-K-L. There's not a lot of room for it, especially when you consider that the remaining space will have to be taken up by the OZ block. When I am presented with such a sequence, one that takes up a lot of space, my instinct is to push it to its extremes. By that I mean try starting it as late as I can (put T in 2nd position) and ending it as early as I can (put L in 4th position), and see what happens. That's especially called for if that sequence appears in the original setup or in one of the early questions, because it can lead to some templates that might be useful later. Sadly, that's not the case here as it is the last question of the game and the section! Still, it's a good approach - try one, and then see what you can eliminate.

When I put T in the second position, that forced the OZ block into the first position, V third, K fourth, and L 5th. W also got forced into 5th because it cannot be 4th, and that meant Y had to go 4th, giving us this template:

O (J, N) K L
Z T V Y W

That eliminates answer B, because K and Y are in the same position rather than having K before Y, and we are left with only answer D as a constant!

This is potentially a time-consuming question, although how quickly you got through it may have been affected by work done on the original diagram, any templates you may have drawn, and solutions to earlier questions. In the end, sometimes you just have to put your head down and push through to get there!
 baxleyce
|
How did you come to the conclusion that D was the only constant? O is before W in your example, which would leave E as a contender unless you tried out another solution, is this what you would recommend doing? Trial and error? I am just confused as to how you eliminated it based on your template provided.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bax,

O (J, N) K L
Z T V Y W

as shown in the example above is what happens if we push the TVKL block to the end. We also want to look at what happens when that block goes 1-4
(JN)KLO
TVWY Z

When we look at both of the examples described by Adam, we see that the only answer choice that is correct for both is answer choice (D).

Hope that helps!
 peerage94
|
Why (D) is constant?

J-Y-K-L-O
T-V-W-N-Z

O-J-Y-K-L
Z-T-V-N-W

Isn't N/Y can be replaceable?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You have flipped N and Y into the wrong sets of variables here, peerage94. The artists are JKLNO, and the musicians are TVWYZ. You've paired up two artists (N with K in one case, N with L in the other) and two musicians (V with Y in both cases). Once you get those variables into their correct sets, you'll get it!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.