LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is A.

The stem asks us to describe the stance of the author of Passage A towards Borges's view.

First, we need to have an idea of what Borges's view is. From the passage, we can summarize Borges's view as saying that the participation of the reader is an essential part of literature - and the manner of that participation shifts with the specific type of literature, with Poe's work as a prime example.

Now, what does the author of Passage A think about this view? Of course, she never comes out and says "I agree", or "I disagree". We have to look for a few specific textual clues. Most of the opinions in Passage A are explicitly limited to Borges's view ("according to Borges", "he suggests", etc.) There are two instances that stand out because they are not specifically ascribed to Borges - the last sentences of each paragraph.

In the last sentence of the first paragraph, the author describes Borges's view as "an insight into the general nature of literature". So we know the author thinks of his view as an insight into the general nature of literature. ("Insight", according to Google Dictionary, is "a deep understanding of a person or thing". Our author thinks Borges has a deep understanding).

And the last sentence of the second paragraph states, "Thus, what unites works belonging to the same genre is the way those works are read, rather than, say, a set of formal elements found within the works." This sentence nicely coincides with Borges's view, but notice how the author never says "according to Borges" in that sentence. Since she explicitly attributes every other sentence to Borges but doesn't in that last one, this suggests that the sentence is the view of the author being expressed.

And that's it! Those two sentences are really all we have to go off of for gleaning the author's perspective on Borges's views. She believes that his views are an insight into the general nature of literature, and (what appears to be) her view at the end of the passage is similar to his. So before looking at the answers, we want to Pre-Phrase something that describes the author's stance based purely on those two sentences. My Pre-Phrased answer would look something like: "Approval, agreement, and admiration". With that, we turn to the answer choices. Since there is so little to base our answer on (again, only two sentences really offer clues as to the author's stance), wrong answers will mostly stand out because there is absolutely nothing to support them.

Answer Choice (A): This is the correct answer. The only two sentences that express our author's point of view suggest that she strongly agrees with and appreciates Borges's view. Again, she thinks his views are an "insight", and what appears to be her conclusion at the end of the passage mirrors Borges's views. This answer closely matches our Pre-Phrase.

Answer Choice (B): The two sentences that allow us to peer into the author's head do not in any way suggest reluctance.

Answer Choice (C): The author is not neutral; she thinks his views are an insight and her conclusion to the passage suggests she completely agrees with his views.

Answer Choice (D): Again, the limited evidence we have suggests that the author agrees with Borges. There is nothing to suggest skepticism on the author's part.

Answer Choice (E): Same deal here. At no point is there anything to suggest the author rejects Borges's views; everything we can point to shows that she agrees with them.
 Jane
|
Hi!

I struggled to find spots where the author's voice/opinion was apparent in passage A.

I selected answer choice B because of the last sentence in the first paragraph. The first half of the sentence reads like a concession that maybe Borges's idea was somewhat self-serving (he complements his readership because he was personally interested in the genre and therefore a "'special type of reader'"). The second half of the sentence offers some praise that Borges offers "insight."

Since the rest of the passage describes Borges's "insight", I relied mostly on that one sentence.

What words or phrases did I miss that indicated the author was in complete agreement with Borges?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jane,

The phrase that you point to doesn't actually show that the author is reluctant to agree with Borges. It just states that his literary interest in detective work was consistent with his own fiction writing. This isn't really critical of Borges' view, or Borges as a person. As a whole, the passage doesn't contain any statements critical of either Borges or his views. There's no caution or hesitation in passage A. So by process of elimination, we arrive at answer choice (A). The author accepts Borges' view because his statements are consistent with Borges' view, and he does not present any criticisms of it.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 JGonzalez515
|
Hi,

I wanted to follow up on this question. When I went through this question, I was able to eliminate B, D and E pretty easily. However, I am still having trouble parsing the idea that "complete agreement" fits the author's view better than "cautious neutrality". Neither is a great fit, but my sense was that if the answer had been "complete agreement", which is pretty strong language, we should have seen the author chime in definitively at some point. Conversely, I thought "cautious neutrality" worked better precisely because the author never really weighs in and, in fact, is very careful to denote throughout that they are just laying out Borges' position. ("For Borges", "Borges' interest", "according to Borges," "Borges imagines."

Any further insight here would be appreciated!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi J.

"Complete Agreement" is the default assumption whenever an author simply repeats uncritically someone else's argument without any critical commentary or acknowledgment of other critical viewpoints. Passage A is functioning as Borges's mouthpiece by simply regurgitating his argument about detective fiction. The real key to understanding that agreement is the last sentence of the first paragraph:

"...his account also draws our attention to an insight into the general nature of literature."

Reading this, it becomes clear that the author has zero criticisms of Borges's argument, as they regard it as an "insight" about literature.

"Cautious Neutrality" would indicate some textual reservations about Borges, language that would allow Borges to be wrong, without ever giving any indication that Borges's view is correct.

Hope this clears things up!
 siilypaki
|
HI,

Why are we supposed to assume "complete agreement" because there isn't any evidence that the author disagrees? I was always told not to assume anything, meaning the author would be neutral unless the author shows any indication of agreement or disagreement. I just am not understanding why is it that inferring the author's neutrality needs to be supported by the passage with more info, but we are told to assume the author agrees unless shown otherwise? Just logically it''s not making sense in my head.

I also chose "cautious neutrality" b/c he sights the other more times than needed, which seems like he is trying to make sure that his opinion is not being mistaken for the author's viewpoints. I thought there is more information to suggest that than the author in "complete agreement". There is just one phrase in which he uses "insight" but that doesn't mean "complete agreement" I would take it not in disagreement, which seems closer to being neutral. I still think that the answer choice is very extreme to be supported.
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi siilypaki! You are right in general to not assume "complete agreement" just because there is no explicit disagreement. However, there is enough in Passage A to indicate that its author agrees with Borges's view. Let's walk through this question. Please see the full question explanation I have posted above.

Also, lastly but most importantly - in case anybody read Passage A and thought, "wow Borges sounds cool; maybe if I should check him out." Please do so! He's in my opinion the best short story writer ever. I highly recommend checking out Labyrinths; it's a cheap and widely available collection of a bunch of his best stories. Ok end of plug.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.