LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 cfernandez31295
|
Hello,

I was hesitant to select answer choice (B) because of its reference to fuel economy dropping "below normal levels". My thought process was that just because fuel economy was dropping considerably didn't mean it was dropping below normal levels, and so answer choice (C) seemed slightly better to me. Can you please explain why (B) is correct, and (C) is incorrect? Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I get your concern with "normal levels" in that answer, cfernandez31295, and that made me like it a little less when I first read it too. I kept it as a contender but was hoping for something better, something more absolute rather than relying on a relative relationship about which we might not have enough information.

Answer C, however struck me as not just worse, but awful. Couldn't that answer be seen to weaken the argument, rather than strengthen it? The driver was completely sacrificing comfort for the sake of fuel economy, so saying those things should be balanced against each other undermines his position.

Back to answer B, while we may not know what "normal" is in this context, the driver did say that fuel economy would have decreased "considerably." It does sound a lot like that would be unusual or abnormal, so answer B, while perhaps imperfect, is nonetheless helpful to the driver's case. Don't throw away an answer just because it seems imperfect, because it may still prove helpful in a Strengthen context. Even a little help is still help, after all!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.