LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 Cbarcelo
|
Hi there,

I'm having an issue with this question -- to the point I eliminated all the answer choices. C was almost perfect ... but then it had "all of the business clients" when the author really just makes an assumption about 90% of those who made a profit. While 90% is certainly most of the business clients, it is not all of them. Is LSAT with this moving in the direction where "almost all" means "all"?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Cbarcelo wrote:Hi there,

I'm having an issue with this question -- to the point I eliminated all the answer choices. C was almost perfect ... but then it had "all of the business clients" when the author really just makes an assumption about 90% of those who made a profit. While 90% is certainly most of the business clients, it is not all of them. Is LSAT with this moving in the direction where "almost all" means "all"?
Hi C,

I'm a big fan of this question and I don't see any unusual use of language here by LSAC, but I believe I see where you ran into an issue. The conclusion of the argument is about "90 percent of my business clients," which is actually a conclusion about all of the business clients even though it names just a portion of them (the inference is that if 90% increased 10-fold, 10% did not, which covers a judgement about all clients). That is then reflected in the "draws a conclusion about all of the business clients" descriptor in answer choice (C).

For anyone else reading, the flaw in the argument is that the agent initially spoke about businesses that made a profit that year ("of those who made a profit last year") which could be only a small portion, and then turned it into a conclusion about all of their clients. that's what (C) is describing :-D

The stimulus really requires you to read closely, because of you miss that initial reference to profit-making business, the argument sounds valid.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 Cbarcelo
|
Hi Dave!

"the inference is that if 90% increased 10-fold, 10% did not, which covers a judgement about all clients" --- I see it now. Well played...well played... :lol:

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.