LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 tizwvu34
|
I am getting turned around and thoroughly confused on this question. I was able to get answer choice A as the correct answer mainly because B C D and E are all obvious wrong answers. I am not able to see why A is a necessary assumption?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi tizwvu,

The issue here is that an entirely new element appears in the conclusion (occupation of settlement at the time the engraving was done) that wasn't in any of the premises. This makes this question a Supporter Assumption one, in which we need to tie this new element in the conclusion to one of the premises (similar to a Justify approach). With that in mind, we can Prephrase to get a general idea of what the correct answer choice should look like: the engraving of the mammoth bone is assumed to a) have been done at the settlement, and b) done when the settlement was occupied, so that it couldn't have been brought in from elsewhere. (A) corresponds with the second Prephrase, so it's likely the correct answer choice; however, we can still test it with the Assumption Negation Technique:

The engraving wasn't made during the period the settlement was occupied :arrow:

The engraving doesn't necessarily show that the settlement was occupied at a time when mammoths were in the area

Works like a charm, so this is definitely the correct answer.

Hope this clears things up!
 g_lawyered
|
Hi P.S.
Is answer choice B incorrect because when applying the Denial Test it doesn't make the conclusion fall apart? B denied would be: "the fossil on which the engraving was made WAS a mammoth bone". Which supports or is reinstating the conclusion. I chose this answer but now that I'm reviewing I think this is the reason it's wrong. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
GGIBA003,

Answer choice (B) is a Shell Game wrong answer - the argument does not stand or fall based on whether the fossil was a mammoth fossil. It makes no difference - the engraving could have been on inorganic stone and the argument wouldn't be affected by that. I don't think its negation supports the conclusion. The "fossil" aspect of the stimulus is a red herring - the fossil has an engraving that depicts a mammoth.

Robert Carroll
 g_lawyered
|
Hi Robert,
I completely missed the difference that the bone "depicts a mammal" when answering this question. Thank you for clarifying that!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.