LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 spglasses
|
Could you take a look at my review of the Q and offer some thoughts? I'm not sure if its right. I feel like I'm overcomplicating it.

Conclusion: Affection in chimp communities functions similarly in human communities. Premise: Chimps who show affection to others are more likely to receive defense from others than chimps who do not show affection to others. Humans are more likely to defend those who they are affectionate towards.

So, in the premise the beings doing the defending are the ones who receive affection. In the conclusion, the beings doing the defending are the ones who give affection.

For necessary assumption questions, I employ a negation test.

Let's negate B: Feelings of affection in chimp communities are never reciprocated.

Chimp X aff to Chimp Y --then--> Chimp Y defends Chimp X Why does Y defend X? You can see why by looking at human communities. Human X aff to Human Y --then--> Human Y aff to Human X --then--> Y defends X

I think the argument is suggesting that a reason affectionate chimps receive defense is because their affection is reciprocated and they use the behavior of humans as an analogy.

Negating B removes the compatibility of this analogy and the explanation. Chimps don't reciprocate affection. Humans might defend others because they reciprocate affection; however, chimps don't reciprocate affection. So, the idea that affection functions in a similar way in chimp and human communities hasn't been supported.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That looks perfect, spglasses! I don't think you are over-complicating it at all. A slightly shorter, quick and dirty version might be to just see a gap between giving affection (the chimps do this) and getting affection (the humans being defended do this). A prephrase of "if you give affection, you get affection" would make that link and get you to answer B as well, perhaps a little faster.
 spglasses
|
Adam Tyson wrote:That looks perfect, spglasses! I don't think you are over-complicating it at all. A slightly shorter, quick and dirty version might be to just see a gap between giving affection (the chimps do this) and getting affection (the humans being defended do this). A prephrase of "if you give affection, you get affection" would make that link and get you to answer B as well, perhaps a little faster.
Thanks. It was easy to use POE during the exam and select B, but it's nice to have some extra confidence about this question now.
 janietoto1029
|
dang, this was a sneaky answer!
 menkenj
|
I see now why (B) is correct. However I am struggling to explain why (D) is wrong.
Is it because it's possible for chimps to show affection to those outside their social group and this not impact the argument because it doesn't break the analogy to human affection?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
menken,

The stimulus is talking about chimps who feel affection toward their own social groups. That there are chimps in existence who feel affection outside that group is not relevant to the argument, so doesn't have to be assumed as true or false. It wouldn't make a difference.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.