LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!

C4E2EE1F-3BFF-4ED0-9159-010A005FF113 12.png
 mallie
|
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this question.
I had the same initial setup for this question, but what threw me off was that if R is in both 5 and 10 then we know L has to go with it (contrapositive of the final rule that states L10 :arrow: R10, if R is in either 5 or in both, L needs to be in 5). So the problem I ran into is that if we place R in both, and we know that L can't be in 5 we're violating a couple of rules: the obvious rule introduced in the question, but also the inference that if L is not in 5, that means it is the perfect spot for H. This felt like a trick question!

Thanks in advance for the guidance.
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mallie!

The problem you're running into is in your interpretation of the contrapositive of the last rule in the game, that "If L offers 10-year bonds, then R must offer 10-year bonds."

The correct understanding of the contrapositive of that rule is: "If R does NOT offer 10-year bonds, then L does NOT offer 10-year bonds."

To get where you're taking the contrapositive, the original rule would've had to say "If L offers 10-year bonds, then R must offer 10-year bonds and must NOT offer 5-year bonds."

Since the original rule did not say that, it's perfectly possible that when L offers 10-year bonds, R offers both 10-year AND 5-year bonds. That's because with R offering both types of bonds, the necessary condition of the rule is satisfied (R is, in fact, offering 10-year bonds).

Very tricky rule, where you have to be very careful with the contrapositive. The only contrapositive thing we know is, if there's a situation where I can tell R is NOT offering the 10-year, then L is definitely NOT offering the 10-year bonds either.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
 itsmathuri
|
Hey there,

I'm having trouble figuring out why G and S can't just be the two that offer both bonds. Why must R offer both?
Thanks in advance!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
mathuri,

The diagram convention in the Setup thread for this game shows what we mean by our diagram: viewtopic.php?p=47466#p47466

Two spaces are "5" because they are for the two corporations that offer ONLY 5-year bonds. Two spaces are "10" for the two corporations that offer ONLY 10-year bonds. The final two spaces are for the two corporations that offer both.

So, looking at the local condition of Question #19, if L and V aren't 5, they can't be in the "5" spaces or the "B" spaces, so they are BOTH in the "10" spaces. The "10" spaces are then full. The third rule makes R offer 10, since L does, but we have no room in the "10" spaces, so for R to offer 10, R must offer both.

Robert Carroll
 slynnnnn
|
Hi PowerScore Team,

I'm having exactly the same confusion as post #2 in the thread. After reading the question, I had the setup as

5: H, __
10: L, V (neither L nor V offers 5-year bonds)
Both: __, __

The explanation given in post #3 says the contrapositive of the third rule should be
If R does NOT offer 10-year bonds, then L does NOT offer 10-year bonds.
However, because both slots in 10-year bonds are taken, meaning R does not offer 10-year bonds. Then according to the contrapositive, we get -- L does not offer 10-year bonds, which is opposite from what I have for setup.

UNLESS, when it says "neither L nor V offers 5-year bonds", it refers to that V can offer either 10-year OR both. Yet, isn't offering both bonds including offering a 5-year bond as well?

Could you please help me to explain that?

Thanks,
Lynn
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Offering both would mean offering 5-year AND 10-year bonds, Lynn, so if V does not offer 5-year bonds then it must offer 10-year bonds only and cannot offer both. But while R must offer 10-year bonds, R COULD offer both!

Try this alternate setup:

5: H/L _ _ _
10: L/H _ _ _

(A group for 5-year bonds with four slots;
A group for 10-year bonds with four slots;
Two variables will be in both groups, the rest will each be in just one group.
H and L have to split between the groups and neither can double up)

When you do it this way, the results from this question may be a bit clearer for you. I set up this local diagram this way:

5: H _ _ _
10: L V _ _

To complete group 5, I have to add S, G and R, because neither L nor V can be there. Since L is in the 10 group, R must also be there (so R is one of the two that goes twice). Then, to finish the 10 group, either G or S has to repeat, like so:

5: HGRS
10: LVR S/G

"Both" literally means both - a company that offers both types must offer 5-year bonds and also offer 10-year bonds!
 slynnnnn
|
Adam,

Thank you so much for your explanation! I totally get it now -- I was so obsessed with the thought of putting R in the 5 year bond slot that I got completely stuck right out of the gate.

Thanks again,
Lynn
 g_lawyered
|
Hi P.S.,
I'm very confused because I choose answer choice C. This was my diagram:
4 slots for S (2 will be in both/repeat): S, H,G Either G/R can repeat
4 slots for L (2 will be in both/repeat): L,V, S, R

Because either G or R could repeat I thought answer choice A and B were Could Be True. And since the question is asking for What Must Be True. I thought C was correct. What makes C incorrect and B correct?
I'm confused because in the PS explanations original diagram, there's an inferences that S CANT be in repeated unless V is in 5th (as per rule 2). But yet, in the previous explanation it states S CAN go be repeated
"To complete group 5, I have to add S, G and R, because neither L nor V can be there. Since L is in the 10 group, R must also be there (so R is one of the two that goes twice). Then, to finish the 10 group, either G or S has to repeat, like so:

10: LVR S/G
"
Why isn't C "Samson Gonzales offers both types of bonds." the correct answer? :-? I think I'm having a hard time understanding the implications of Rule 2 (even after inferring the inferences in previous explanations). Can someone please clarify this for me?

Thank in advance
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm not sure what you mean about 4 slots for S and 4 for L, GGIBA003@FIU.EDU. Did you mean 4 for 5-year bonds and 4 for 10-year bonds? That's what I was demonstrating earlier in this thread.

If you do it that way, then under the terms of this local question you have to put V and L both in the 10 group, because they cannot offer 5-year bonds. So far, that gives you this:

5: _ _ _ _
10: V L _ _

Putting L into the group for 10 forces H into the group for 5 per the first rule, and it also forces R into the group for 10 per the last rule, so now you have this much info:

5: H _ _ _
10: V L R _

But you still need three more variables in addition to H to finish the group that offers 5-year bonds, right? Neither V nor L can be there per the local restriction. Therefore, the three others in that 5 group must be R, S, and G. Boom, R must be in both groups! The final variable in the 10-year bond group could be S, but it could also be G, and that is why answer C COULD be true but is not something that MUST be true. Here's the final diagram if we do it with the groups this way:

10: VLR S/G

S doesn't have to be in both groups, although it could be; the rule about V being in the 5 group simply isn't triggered, so the necessary condition in that rule may or may not occur.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.