LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Answer Explanation

This is a Global Reference, Primary Purpose question. A good prephrase is a summary of the main idea of the passage:
  • This passage is a description of the work of Charlotte Gilman and her contributions to the theory of Social Darwinism, specifically its collective social and ethical implications.
Compare this prephrase to the answer choices.
  • A) Is the passage a defense of Gilman? Against whom? It's not really a defense. It's just telling us some information about Gilman, whom we may infer the author admires. Also, this answer choice refers to views "promulgated by a particular group of writers and activists." This phrasing is too broad. The passage is narrowly focused on Gilman.

B) This is the credited response. "Description" matches our prediction on the nose. Who is the "particular writer?" Gilman.
    What was the intellectual controversy? Whether or not it is futile to act to improve society (c.f. ll 9-20) What was the "scientific theory?" Social Darwinism. We have a total match here.

C) This is not an "explication" (a detailed explanation) of theoretical points. Moreover, these social theories have differing goals.

D) There is no alternative view of Gilman present. Moreover, this is not a defense, as noted in the explanation for A.

E) This is not an introduction to Social Darwinism writ large. The passage is focused on Gilman in particular.
 T.B.Justin
|
Hey PS,

Thanks for the explanation. I want to be sure my thoughts are attune to the likely consequences being discussed in the passage.

I think the consequences being discussed of Social Darwinism: the changes in human societies and what is the best way to promote them moving forward.
 dbrowning
|
I eliminated answer 'B' because I could not find anything related to the "consequences of a scientific theory". I thought that "consequences" would refer to a passage where information is presented about things that happened in a society as a result of this theory, if that makes sense (maybe something like: "society regressed as a result of social darwinist thinkers).

I chose answer E, because the latter half of the first paragraph certainly seems like an "introduction to a general type of scientific theory". Is E wrong simply because Social Darwinism is a social theory rather than a scientific one, or did I miss something else? I was surprised when I missed this question, because E fit my prephrase nicely.
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
dbrowning,

The reason for eliminating (E) is not the difference between social theories (really, hypotheses) and science. Social hypotheses are falsifiable and can be studied as science. Additionally, the correct choice refers to science.

The strongest reasons for eliminating (E) are as follows:

1. The passage introduces a theory, not a type of theory.
2. The passage hasn't clarified much.
3. There is actually not much detail at all.
4. Misses the contrast between the two visions of social darwinism.

Your reason for eliminating (B) can be avoided by more care during the reading of the passage:

1. First group argued that biological evolution means society is "strictly determined."
2. Second group agreed that evolution does happen on a social level, but that we're smart enough to affect the process.
3. Specific writer argues that this means we have responsibilities to affect the process.

All those things are consequences--results.
 ange.li6778
|
Hi powerscore, from the analytics I can see that equal proportions of students picked B and E so obviously E was a very good trap answer (which I also fell for). My issue with B was that I did not think the disagreement between other social Darwinists and Gilman's camp rose to the level of "intellectual controversy." E was not perfect but it seemed better than B. What are some strategies I can use in the future to pick the right answer and not fall for a very tempting trap answer? Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
One tip is not to eliminate an answer for being "imperfect" in some way, ange.li6778. The right answer doesn't have to be perfect, but just "the best answer" when compared to the other four choices. Too often I see students rejecting an answer because it uses words and phrases that they might not have chosen themselves if they writing their own answer choice. While you might feel that "intellectual controversy" is too strong, that doesn't mean it is inaccurate or that it is unsupported by the passage. A controversy is just a disagreement, and the word does not, by itself, indicate how vigorous the debate is or how strongly the opposing parties feel about it. The fact that there are at least two camps here - those who feel it is "futile to try to meddle with the competitive struggle for existence and the survival of the fittest" and the "more activist" types like Perkins Gilman - is enough to support that there is a controversy here.

There's an important distinction between an answer that appears to be more extreme than you might like and one that actually is too extreme to be supported by the passage at all, because it depends on information that is not provided. The authors know that many students will treat instances of the first type as if they are the second, and so they lay these traps for us, making answers that are actually perfectly good look a little ugly. When you get more open to and willing to select unattractive answers, you'll be more likely to select them when they are correct despite their first impression, and you'll at the same time be less likely to rationalize support for a bad answer (and Brook does a great job in this thread laying out all the things about answer E that make it really, really bad).

In short, be aware of LSAC's tendency to make right answers look worse than they are, and don't fall for it!
 ange.li6778
|
Thanks for all your help, Adam!!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.