LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 tomthomse@gmail.com
|
Hi, could you explain why A isn't correct? The sentence in Passage A containing "despite what appears to be a persistent practice of joke stealing among stand-up comedians" to me indicates comedians have more intellectual property theft than chefs, which has no mention of rate of theft.
 Christen Hammock
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Tom!

We never get a one-to-one comparison between comedians and chefs, so we can't infer that intellectual property violations are more frequent among one or the other group! An inference is something that must be true. Your explanation of Answer Choice (A) tells us something that could be true, but we don't have enough evidence to support it!

Christen
 andrewb22
|
I chose (E) on this one, but I struggled between it and (C), specifically because of this line "Legal protections are potentially available via trade secrecy laws". Passage A does mention that there are legal avenues for comedians, but that they are expensive and difficult to win. The line I mentioned in Passage B is followed by the fact that chef's rarely use this method, but do not explain why. After considering (C), I thought that lack of explanation implied chef's possibly have an easier path to legal success.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Andrew,

The key here is that we just don't know enough about how the legal options compare. We know they both have legal options (copyright and trade secrets) but we don't know which one has better options. The passages aren't written to the other author--the authors are unaware of one another. So unless we had an explicit comparison in one or the other, or an objective way of quantifying the legal options, we don't have any way to compare the options available to chefs and comedians.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.