LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 ameliakate
|
I am curious to the reasoning behind answer choice C. I was between A and B, and ultimately selected B. In paragraph 3, starting with the "some people say" argument and then again in paragraph 4/5, the author provides doubt towards the usefulness or accuracy of the multiverse theory. The author does concede some viability to the theory in the last paragraph, but I read the viewpoint as negative towards the multiverse theory and/or it's application.

What am I missing? Thanks!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Amelia,

To assess the author's perspective towards the multiverse, you should account for the viewpoints the author expresses in the passage. When the author clearly states an opinion, you must not hunt through the passage for clues to support assigning the author a different opinion. In the final paragraph, the author makes his only opinion statement about the multiverse theory--the author gives reasons why he believe that he has not challenged the multiverse theory and why he believes it may prove to be correct. Therefore you must choose (C). Nowhere in the rest of the passage does the author take a position on the ultimate validity of the multiverse theory. Don't use passage structure or arguments to undermine a clear statement of opinion by the author when you are doing a perspective question. It's understandable why you picked (B), but if you keep this in mind you can avoid that mixup in the future.
 pstudent98
|
I'm a bit confused here. The author states that their research shows multiple scenarios where the multiverse concept is real. Then in the final paragraph they state that certain models of the birth of the universe expect the belief in a multiverse and that a multiverse could help answer long-held puzzles about the universe. Doesn't all this combine to show that the author is advocating or even enthusiastic (D/E) of the multiverse hypothesis? I don't interpret all this as being simply "open-minded"
Thank you!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi pstudent98

The author here falls far short of enthusiasm and advocacy. The author's view of the multiverse theory is that it's not necessarily wrong. The author does not believe that his views disprove the multiverse theories, but does not advocate for it. The process the author and their colleagues engage in with multiple manipulations at once does potentially call the multiverse theory into question as it shows multiple ways that the universe COULD be structured and still be consistent with life. The final paragraph sort of tempers that by stating that the author doesn't really believe the multiverse theory is impossible, but it isn't overly positive toward it either. Openness is probably the best way to describe the author's view.

Hope that helps!
 SwanQueen
|
Greetings,

I was greatly hesitant between (C) and (D).

My skepticism with (D) as being incorrect was that there were parts of paragraph 6 that suggest advocacy- specifically: "firstly...lead us to expect" and "secondly...may well prove". I feel these two have a positive connotation, and hence can be deemed as advocacy to, say, looking into these questions, which are due to the multiverse hypothesis.

Why is (D) wrong? As well, why is (C) a better answer choice than (D)?

Thank you in advance!
 Paul Popa
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello Your Majesty! :-D

I'd be happy to help. "Advocacy" is a pretty strong term. It describers a proponent or supporter of an act or cause who publicly declares their support for said cause and fights for its acceptance. I don't think the author ever goes so far as to declare their personal support for the multiverse hypothesis. Even the examples you give ("lead us to expect" and "may well prove") are peppered with hedging terms like "may." I would definitely agree the author is open-minded to the possibility of a multiverse, and sees areas of evidence that support this idea. But I don't think the author ever goes so far as to say that they are convinced themselves and now are campaigning in favor of the hypothesis. Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.