LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below! Thank you!
 allicr
|
Hi there,

While doing this preptest I selected C. I can see how A is a better answer, however I am wondering what is exactly wrong with C. They seem to be similar answer choices, but I think C is wrong because it refers to non-verbal cues and we don't necessarily know the person was using non-verbal cues to get their message across. Does it have more to do with how the words in the sentence relate to one another and this is what A describes?

Thanks for any help on this!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Alli,

The Lecturer indicates that our experience of how people use words affects our interpretation of the words. He says that when someone starts talking about how hard he tried, everyone knows that person failed. That leads to (A)--our understanding of how conversation works includes more than just the dictionary meanings of words. It also eliminates B,D,E. The puzzle is how to eliminate (C).

A "non-verbal cue" means something other than the words themselves. For instance, the pitch of my voice can indicate confusion, and that is a non-verbal cue. If I make a face while I speak, or if I angle my body, wave my arms, etc., those are all non-verbal cues.

The author doesn't give an example of a non-verbal cue. What he is saying is that people who succeed just say it, they don't use the word "tried" to describe their efforts. The cue that indicates that they failed is a verbal cue.
 Iam181
|
HI,

Would you please explain why answer choice E is wrong? I was left with A and E, but ended up choosing E.

Thank you
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Iam181,

What the stimulus of this question describes is actually an example of successful communication. The example the speaker gives is one in which "you would correctly understand" what the speaker is saying. Since your understanding would be correct, there has been successful communication. In other words, the speaker intends to convey something more than what the literal words mean, and the listener correctly understands that. The stimulus goes on to say this example is "typical" of how conversation works, meaning the typical conversation is successful. Given that the stimulus is focused on a successful example of conversation, we do not have any basis for inferring that listeners would not typically be successful in conversation (which is what answer choice E implies). Additionally, answer choice E refers to the "knowledge" that is required for successful conversation, but the stimulus does not discuss "knowledge," and the specific "knowledge" required for such conversation. Since the stimulus does not provide any discussion of that issue, that answer cannot be supported by the stimulus.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.