LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Ari
|
Hello,

I have two questions related to translating the rules. First, for rule 2, why wouldn't you negate the contrapositive (like so: -T--R or -T--S --> -T--G)? Related to this same rule, for scenario 2, how could you put "or both" for T--R or T--S when it says "or" and not "and"? Thank you in advance!
 Ari
|
Ari wrote:Hello,

I have two questions related to translating the rules. First, for rule 2, why wouldn't you negate the contrapositive (like so: -T--R or -T--S --> -T--G)? Related to this same rule, for scenario 2, how could you put "or both" for T--R or T--S when it says "or" and not "and"? Thank you in advance!
I am actually struggling to see how the different templates help. I attempted to draw them out, but there still seems to be so many options for each that it does not seem helpful. What am I missing? For example, for scenario 1, beyond knowing that T is last, there seems to be quite a few possibilities. The other two appear to have even more possibilities.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ari,

First, in this case when we negate the terms in the conditional, instead of saying not "g---t", we can simplify our language. We know there are no ties, so if something is not before, it must be after. T---G is the contrapositive here of G---T because of the rule telling us they go one at a time.

Regarding the templates, some will provide more info than others. Template 1 is still helpful, because it shows us once G---T, everyone is before T. While that still leaves a lot open, knowing who is last is powerful for quickly scanning answer choices. The templates guide us by helping us track what information we have (and don't have).

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 momgoingbacktoschool
|
James Finch wrote:Hi Marathon,

This is a classic template game, as we're given a couple of either/or rules. This means we should be prepared to create 4 templates for this game, although one or more may not actually be possible and follow all the rules.

Variables: GHRST
Rules:
1) H--R
2) G-T :arrow: H--R--T and S--T (T must go last in this scenario)
Contrapositive:
T--R or T--S :arrow: T--G
3) H--S and T and R
or
S and T--H--R

So the scenarios I would create would be:

1) H--R and S--T, G--T
2) H--S and T and R, T--G, T--R or S or both (this is the trickiest one)
3) S and T--H--R, T--G
4) Doesn't work, as it forces both G--T--R, which isn't possible according to the rules

Using the first 3 templates, (ideally drawn out rather than written out the way it is here) we can quickly answer all of the questions accurately.

Hope this helps!
I'm having trouble visualizing these templates in branch form. Can someone post an image of what the templates look like?
 gwlsathelp
|
I second the above motion.
 RenattaP
|
Hi PowerScore! Is it possible for someone to kindly post a diagram of the templates and rules for this game? I am struggling to wrap my head around how the diagramming should look for this question. I would really appreciate it, thank you!
 RenattaP
|
RenattaP wrote:Hi PowerScore! Is it possible for someone to kindly post a diagram of the templates and rules for this game? I am struggling to wrap my head around how the diagramming should look for this question. I would really appreciate it, thank you!
For anyone else in the future looking, I found some diagrams here: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=16230
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi all!

Here's a Global Diagram (scroll down within the diagram to catch the full picture), and then the 3 templates that are possible in the game. Please note that a 4th template, with S/T before H, and G before T, is not possible, because putting G before T would require R to be ahead of T (and if T is ahead of H, then it also has to be ahead of R). Let me know if this triggers any more questions!
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 4.20.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 4.15.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 4.16.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 4.18.50 PM.png
I hope this helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 imckenz2003
|
Hi,

I am not sure if this will help anyone or if it sounds super basic, but the minutes I realized this one key piece the entire game became a lot simpler.

So at first when I began to attack this game I would literally make sure that H went right before R.....it was just a habit. When I came back to it later I realized that no one ever said that H needed to go right before R....it can be a couple of spaces before R if it needs to be..or it can be right before R if it needs to be, whichever works for what you are trying to do. I know it sounds super basic (because honestly it is) but the minute i started examining the game in that way I was able to answer almost every single question correctly without taking forever.

I hope this helps...
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's an important point, imckenz2003, and one that a lot of students get tripped up on! To say that one variable is "before" another is just a relative claim - it means it is SOMEWHERE before. So it may be immediately before, or it may be a long time before! Once we realize that, sequence games get much easier. That's a great lesson to learn, congratulations on picking up on it and thanks for sharing for those other folks who may still be struggling with it!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.