LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 yusrak
|
Hi powerscore,

I am having a hard time understanding why choice B is correct. I chose D after reviewing the passage 3 times during blind review. My reasoning is based on the last few sentences of the 3rd paragraph which states, "Communities with radio stations have at their disposal a means to combat this trend, but the mere presentation of native language programming is not enough. For radio programming to be effective in countering the potentially deleterious linguistic effects of the Internet, it should resonate with the living oral traditions of indigenous communities."

These sentences suggest that the medium of language preservation is not as important as the method used to preserve and teach the language. Based on this reasoning I choose choice D which states, "Language preservation is more successful when, rather than merely transmitting the language by traditional classroom lessons, an effort is made to take into account the cultural context of the language."

I felt that choice B was too specific and that it did not capture the purpose of the fourth and final paragraph of the passage. Can someone please please explain to me what I am missing in my understanding of the main point of this passage?

Best,
Yusra
 Christen Hammock
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Yusra!

The major problem I see with (D) is that it doesn't mention Native American radio programming at all! This is a main point question, so all of the major elements of the passage have to be mentioned. Answer Choice (B) is specific to the passage and hits all the main points (language preservation, the threat of the Internet, the specific Native context).

Christen
 Vengveng
|
Hi powerscore,
I have the same question with B and D. I think the main point of the passage is ratio is an effective tool and helps to counter the threat of the Internet, but it is not enough, program that is integrated into native community is necessary.
B mentions the first half, and D mentions the second half. So I feel very confused.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Vengveng,

This question provides of great example of why we recommend prephrasing, which basically means coming up with an answer before looking at the actual answer choices.

In coming up with a main point statement for this passage, the first question you should ask yourself is "what is this passage about (in terms of topic)?" The topic is the recent preservation efforts of Native American languages through the use of radio stations broadcast in those native languages. That is what the passage is about in terms of subject.

The next question to ask is "what does the author think and/or feel about this topic?" Here, the author is (unsurprisingly) in favor of preserving these native languages and in favor using these radio programs for this purpose. The author has specific recommendations on how best to use these radio programs, which is what Answer D is getting at, but these specific recommendations are details supporting the main point, not the main point itself.

If I read Answer B without having read the passage, I would have a good idea of what the passage is about in terms of topic and how the author feels about that topic (i.e. the main point). The inclusion of the Internet as a problem to preserving these native language is also helpful in Answer B, as that is an important issue discussed in the passage.

If I read Answer D without having read the passage, I would think that the passage was just about the preservation of language in general (whether it be Latin, Greek, etc.) and have no idea that the passage is specifically about Native Americans trying to preserve their languages with radio stations.

Finally, to address your comment that you felt that Answer B was "not enough," while they could have expanded on this statement, it does contain the crucial idea of Native Americans using radios to preserve their languages, while Answer D lacks this necessary information.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.